Gerontologic Nursing, 6th Edition
Compassionately care for the aging population with Gerontologic Nursing, 6th Edition, uniquely known for its comprehensive coverage of the most common medical-surgical problems associated with older adults. Organized by body system for easy retrieval of information, it delves into health promotion and both basic and complex gerontologic concepts and issues. This disorder-focused gerontologic nursing text features an enhanced focus on nursing management and care coordination across health care delivery settings. It emphasizes topics such as nutrition, chronic illness, emergency treatment, patient teaching, home care, and end-of-life care — and includes the latest guidelines for mammograms, colonoscopies, pneumonia, and shingles vaccinations. With the addition of new nursing theories, this edition offers a valuable framework for gerontologic care.
New to this edition
- EXPANDED! Increased focus on nursing management and care coordination across health care delivery settings.
- NEW! New nursing theories in chapter 2 provide a framework for gerontologic care.
- UPDATED! Up-to-date guidelines for mammograms, colonoscopies, pneumonia, and shingles vaccinations.
- UPDATED! Fall prevention updates help you better protect your patients.
- UPDATED! Updates on the challenges of caring for older adults with cognitive disorders ensure you are prepared.
- UPDATED! Updated chapters throughout reflect the current evidence to guide practice.
- Overview of age-related changes in structure and function included in all body system chapters.
- The most current standards and guidelines keep you in the know.
- Psychologic and sociocultural issues and aspects of older adult care integrated throughout the text.
- Critical thinking questions included at end of chapters.
- UNIQUE! Patient/Family Teaching boxes emphasize key aspects of practice and teaching for self-care.
- Health Promotion/Illness Prevention boxes provide tips to promote leading a healthy life.
- UNIQUE! Nutritional Consideration boxes demonstrate special nutritional needs and concerns facing the aging population.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes pull the critical evidence-based information contained in the text into boxes for easy access and identification.
- Cultural Awareness boxes highlight differences in how key concepts are understood or practiced in various cultures.
- Home Care boxes highlight tips to promote practical, effective home care for the older adult.
- Key Points at end of chapters summarize the important concepts discussed in the chapter.