Essential Surgery, 6th EditionProblems, Diagnosis and Management
Essential Surgery is well-established as one of the leading textbooks of surgery for medical students, core surgical trainees and those in professions allied to medicine. Covering general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics, vascular surgery, urology, paediatric surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, maxillofacial surgery and ENT, it also incorporates appropriate levels of basic science throughout. The book is ideal to accompany clinical courses, as well as being a practical manual for readers at more advanced levels requiring a revision aid for exams. Its main aim is to stimulate the reader to a greater enjoyment and understanding of the practice of surgery.
New to this edition
- A major and comprehensive revision of the text has taken full account of the progressive evolution of surgery and includes new scientific and clinical concepts that have advanced medical understanding.
- Ensuring the book’s contents are aligned to the curriculum of the UK Intercollegiate MRCS examination has resulted in the addition of new topics including an emphasis on peri-operative care optimisation, enhanced recovery programmes, antibiotic use and resistance, updated cancer staging, minimally invasive surgery, and the evolving role of interventional radiology.
- Additional essential governance and management topics are covered, including patient safety, surgical ethics, communication, consent, clinical audit and principles of research.
- The broad experience of surgical teaching and training of two new editors and many new contributors, all with sub-specialist expertise, have brought a contemporary perspective on the book’s contents and its presentation.
- New national and international guidelines for managing common disorders have been incorporated where appropriate, including major haemorrhage management pathways and trauma.
- There are new dedicated chapters on major trauma management and elective orthopaedics.
- The uniformity of the writing style and the clarity of elucidation will encourage continued reading, while the emphasis on the principles of surgery will enable a real understanding of the subject matter.
- The book incorporates a problem-solving approach wherever possible, emphasising how diagnoses are made and why particular treatments are used.
- The pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases is discussed in relation to their management, acting as a bridge between basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- The book’s extensive use of original illustrations, colour photographs, radiology images, boxes and tables emphasises important concepts and will promote easy revision of topics.
- The principles of operative surgery and pre-, peri- and postoperative care are explained together with outlines of common operations, enabling students and trainee surgeons to properly understand procedures and to participate intelligently in the operating department.