Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients, 13th EditionComplete Dentures and Implant-Supported Prostheses
Covering the functional and esthetic needs of edentulous patients, Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients: Complete Dentures and Implant-Supported Prostheses, 13th Edition helps you provide complete dentures, with and without dental implant support. It addresses both the behavioral and clinical aspects of diagnosis and treatment and covers treatment modalities including osseointegration, overdentures, implant-supported fixed prosthesis, and the current and future directions of implant prosthodontics. New to this edition are full-color photographs and coverage of immediately loaded complete dental prostheses. From lead editor and respected educator George Zarb, Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients provides an atlas of clinical procedures and emphasizes the importance of evidence-based treatment.
New to this edition
- NEW! Over 800 full-color photos and illustrations highlight key clinical and esthetic details.
- NEW Immediately Loaded Complete Dental Prostheses chapter describes the rationale for the popular approach to immediately loading full arch implant supported/retained prostheses, allowing both enhanced functional outcomes and an accelerated time frame for completion of treatment.
- NEW The Impact of Socioeconomic, Cultural and Technological Changes and the Notion of Standards of Care and Alternative Protocols chapter addresses the "appropriatech" concept of providing cost-effective, appropriate care and describes techniques that make complete dentures accessible to those who do not have access to alternative care, including discussions of alternative protocols such as Complete Dentures in Four Clinical Sessions (CD4).
- Completely revised Materials Used in the Management of Edentulous Patients chapter includes expanded information on the properties, behaviors, and limitations of dental materials used in the rehabilitation of the edentulous patient, including impression materials (such as zinc oxide-eugenol impression paste, hydrocolloids, agar, and silicones), polymeric denture base materials (including rapid-cure type resins, biocompatibility of acrylic-based resins, residual monomer content, and radio-opacity of denture bases), denture cleansers (microwave radiation), and denture adhesives (such as adjunctive retention, indications/contraindications, application, and adverse reactions).
- Short, easy-to-read chapters cover the essentials of care for both short- and long-term patients, stressing the importance of evidence-based treatment.
- Expanded coverage of implant prosthodontics addresses the clinical protocols for implant-retained and implant-supported prosthodontic management.
- Specific chapters address the three surfaces of the complete denture: (1) an impression or intaglio surface, (2) a polished surface, and (3) an occlusal surface, the integration of which is crucial to creating a stable, functional, and esthetic result.
- Chapter on health and nutrition examines a number of systemic conditions (vesciculoerosive conditions, systemic lupus erythematosus, burning mouth syndrome, salivary dysfunction, Sjögren's syndrome, hyper/hyposalivation, diabetes) that affect the oral cavity and specifically influence the prognosis for wearing complete dentures or for accepting osseointegrated prostheses.
- Chapter on the time-dependent changes which occur in the oral cavity focuses on both time-related direct (ulcer/cheek biting, irritation hyperplasia, denture stomatitis, flabby ridge and pendulous maxillary tuberosities, hyperkeratosis and oral cancer, residual ridge reduction) and indirect (atrophy of masticatory muscles, nutritional status and masticatory function, control of sequelae) changes in the oral environment, and provides strategies to minimize the risk of such changes.
- Chapter on the techniques used to prolong the life of complete dentures focuses on the two techniques used to extend the life of dentures: relining and rebasing, also touching on denture duplication.
- Well-respected editors and contributors are the leaders in their field, lending credibility and experience to each topic.