Interpersonal Relationships, 8th EditionProfessional Communication Skills for Nurses
Now more than ever, effective communication skills are key for successful patient care and positive outcomes. Interpersonal Relationships: Professional Communication Skills for Nurses, 8th Edition helps you to develop skills in communicating effectively with clients, families, and colleagues in order to achieve treatment goals in health care. Using clear, practical guidelines, it shows how to enhance the nurse-client relationship through proven communication strategies as well as principles drawn from nursing, psychology, and related theoretical frameworks. The 8th edition includes engaging new content relating to current issues, while also emphasizing interdisciplinary communication and QSEN competencies. You will learn how to apply theory to real-life practice through case studies, interactive exercises, and evidence-based practice studies.
New to this edition
- NEW! Engaging content links the text to current issues and communication concepts.
- UPDATED! Perspectives and Contemporary Dynamics chapter revised to be more engaging and link the content closer to current issues and related communication concepts.
- UPDATED! Communicating in Groups chapter includes professional and task small group communication applications.
- UPDATED! Most chapters have been retitled and expanded to highlight a stronger emphasis on interdisciplinary health team communication.
- UPDATED! Safety and Quality in health care delivery (QSEN) competencies reflects current thinking on technology, safety, and evidence-based practice, especially as they relate to communication in nursing.
- UPDATED! Content throughout text includes stronger emphasis on interdisciplinary relationships and collaborative communication with related evidence based case studies and analysis.
- Expanded content related to socio-cultural communication competencies reduce health disparities and increase health literacy.
- Additional simulated exercises and discussion questions help you practice your reflective analysis skills.
- Revised content on social media and transitional care delivery reflects current practice standards.
- Discussion of spirituality and end-of-life needs focuses on trust, empathy, and the nurse-client relationship — all central components of holistic nursing identified by The Joint Commission as priorities for patient care.
- Nursing, behavioral, developmental, family, and communication theories provide an essential foundation and a theoretical perspective for effective communication.
- Interactive exercises let you practice, observe, and critically evaluate your professional communication skills in a safe learning environment.
- Case examples help you learn to develop empathy for clients' perspectives and needs.
- Ethical Dilemma and Evidence-Based Practice boxes help you absorb and retain key ethical content throughout text.
- Separate chapters on communication across the lifespan highlights crucial communication tools that are the first step in developing a culture of safety in contemporary health care delivery.