Introduction and background
- What is schizophrenia?
- Presentation and natural history of schizophrenia
- Who gets schizophrenia?
- How many people have schizophrenia?
Aetiology and diagnosis
- What causes schizophrenia?
- What are the genes doing?
- Genetic models
- The future for molecular genetic epidemiology
- Environmental risk factors
Some history of the clinical concept and other thoughts about schizophrenia
- Dementia praecox
- Problems with categorical definitions and operational criteria
- ?Typical? and ?atypical? antipsychotics ? what?s in a name?
- Typical antipsychotics
- Atypical antipsychotic medications
- Non-pharmacological management
- Acute psychosis
- First-episode psychosis
- Maintenance therapy
- Treatment-refractory schizophrenia
- Future developments