Part One: Transitioning to the Student Role
Section 1: Understanding Yourself
1. Past, Present, and Future: Assessing Your Accomplishments
2. Identifying Individual Tools
3. Personal Empowerment Skills
Section 2: Becoming a Successful Student
4. Classroom Study Habits That Work
5. Arranging and Accessing Support for Your Professional Move
6. Basic Math Review: Preparing for Medication Calculations - NEW!
7. Writing Professionally - NEW!
Part Two: Transitioning to the Registered Nurse Role
Section 3: Understanding the Difference Between LPN and RN
8. Role Transition
9. Nursing: Past and Present Influences
10. Educational Pathways and Expanded Roles - NEW!
Part Three: The RN as Provider of Care
Section 4: Foundational Concepts
11. Nursing Theory: Guiding Professional Practice - NEW!
12. Understanding the Nursing Process - NEW!
13. Thinking and Judgment
Section 5: Incorporating Knowledge Into Practice
14. Knowledge and Skill Acquisition
15. Evidence-Based Practice - NEW!
Section 6: Essential Functions
16. The RN as a Communicator
17. The RN as a Teacher
Part Four: The RN as Manager of Care
Section 7: Managing the Consumer in the Health-Illness Continuum
18. The RN as a Manager of Care
19. Primary Health Care: Factors Influencing Health Promotion
20. Managing Care in Secondary and Tertiary Health Care
Part Five: The RN as Member of the Discipline
Section 8: Implementing the Member of the Discipline Role
21. The RN as Researcher
22. Ethical and Legal Considerations - NEW!
23. Putting It All Together
Appendix A: Math Practice Problem Answers
Appendix B: A Patient?s Bill of Rights
Appendix C: NANDA Nursing Diagnoses