Sleep Disorders Medicine, 3rd Edition
Basic Science, Technical Considerations, and Clinical Aspects, Expert Consult - Online and Print
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
Dr. Sudhansu Chokrovertya world-recognized expert in sleep medicinepresents the third edition of Sleep Disorders Medicine for the latest developments in this rapidly expanding specialty, with coverage of neuroscience and clinical application. In addition to summarizing basic science and important technological aspects of diagnosis and treatment, this edition presents new chapterson sleep and memory consolidation, neuroimaging, and morein a color layout that makes it easy to access the latest advances in the field. The text's manageable size and logical, multi-disciplinary approach make it the right choice for newcomers and experienced clinicians alike.
New to This Edition
- Offers online access to the full text through Expert Consult functionality for convenient reference.
- Demonstrates how recent basic science advances affect clinical medicine through new chapters on Sleep Deprivation and Sleepiness; Sleep and Memory Consolidation; Neuroimaging in Sleep and Sleep Disorders; Nutrition and Sleep; Nature and Treatment of Insomnia; Evolution of Sleep from Birth through Adolescence; Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children and Women’s Sleep.
- Improves on the clarity and consistency of the text with a new, completely redrawn art program, including full-color illustrations in the clinical section that enhances diagnostic material.
- Presents the material in an even more readable and user-friendly two-color design and page layout.
- Covers all aspects of sleep medicine in a practical, logical format divided into three sections: the basic science of sleep physiology, neuroanatomy, and biochemistry; the technical methods of recording; and a clinical approach to patients with sleep complaints.
- Represents the breadth of knowledge across disciplines through the contributions of 50 prominent names in the field of sleep medicine.
- Provides a multidisciplinary approach to the diagnosis and management of sleep disorders with coverage of related fields such as pulmonology, otolaryngology, and psychiatry.
- Includes a Glossary of Terms adapted from the American Sleep Disorders Association for quick reference to the sleep terminology used throughout the text.
"The volume is clearly written, well illustrated, attractively produced, and benefits from a good index...The book will be of great interest to clinical neurophysiologists or sleep specialists and those in training in these subspecialties as well as to clinicians responsible for the care of patients with a variety of neurologic disorders that may lead to disturbances in sleep, including specialists in neuromuscular diseases. It can be strongly recommended." - Muscle and Nerve, review of the previous edition
"Dr. Chokroverty invited many of the pioneers of progress in sleep medicine to contribute to the second edition of his book. Not surprisingly, it continues to be one of the best available reference works on sleep disorders. Most of the 35 chapters could stand alone as monographs worthy of separate publication. Indeed, despite the explosive growth that has occurred in information on sleep disorders, Dr. Chokroverty provides us with a comprehensive review of the wide spectrum of sleep pathology. Anyone with an interest in sleep disorders medicine should find this book helpful.” - Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, review of the previous edition
By Sudhansu Chokroverty, MD, FRCP, FACP, Professor of Neurology, New York Medical College, Valhalla; Clinical Professor of Neurology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ; Associate Chairman of Neurology, Chairman of Neurophysiology, and Director, Center of Sleep Medicine, Saint Vincents Hospital and Medical Center, NY