Building Your Health Care Career
A Guide for Students
The only career planning book available in Canada developed specifically for non-nursing students interested in a career in health care!
This specialized workbook has been written as a tool to assist students in the process of planning their future careers, both academically and professionally.
Following the Donner-Wheeler 'Career Planning and Development Model', the book aims to provide students with practical advice on how to get the most from their education, and subsequently their careers. Building Your Health Care Career will serve as a valuable aid to any student interested in a career in health care, no matter if they are just entering school or are close to graduating.
• Follows the Donner-Wheeler Career Planning and Development Model
• Full of specific activities and exercises for each stage of the Model
• Students will learn how to:
Develop a clinical learning plan
Appropriately select courses
Determine a foci for course assignments
Balance extracurricular activities
Establish a sense of control and direction over their academic career
Develop a plan for future success
• Discussion on learning styles and the importance of determining one’s own style as part of the Self-Assessment process
• Advice on how to market yourself, including a discussion on social networking sites (Facebook, MySpace, etc.) and their new role in the hiring process
• Numerous case studies and examples
By Janice Waddell, RN, PhD, Ryerson University, Associate Dean, Faculty of Community Services; Associate Professor, Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Ryerson University; Gail J. Donner, RN, PhD, Partner, donnerwheeler, Career Planning and Development Consultants; and Mary M. Wheeler, RN, MEd, PCC, Partner, donnerwheeler, Career Planning and Development Consultants