Modern Dental Assisting, 11th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Prepare for a successful career as a dental assistant with Modern Dental Assisting, 11th Edition! Using an easy-to-understand approach, this book provides a complete foundation in the basic and advanced skills you must master to achieve clinical competence. Full-color photographs and clear, step-by-step instructions make it easy to learn dental assisting procedures. This edition includes content on the electronic health record, impact of the new health care law, and the new hazard communication standard. And as a complete learning package, it also includes an Evolve companion website with new videos demonstrating key procedures, practice quizzes, interactive games and exercises, and flashcards. Written by the expert dental assisting team of Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, this is the leading text in dental assisting - the most trusted, the most comprehensive, and the most current.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW content addresses the electronic patient record, impact of the new health care law, preventive techniques, and the new hazard communication standard.
- NEW, full-color photos show the latest technology, instruments, and procedures.
- NEW video on the companion Evolve website includes 10 new and 20 reshot video clips of dental assisting procedures, focusing on prevention, dental materials, and imaging; the Evolve website also includes review questions and answers to test your readiness for clinical experiences.
- EXPANDED! Online chapter quizzes on the Evolve companion website provide additional opportunities to assess your comprehension, along with rationales to reinforce concepts.
- Comprehensive coverage makes this your single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- A highly approachable writing style presents the latest information and procedures in a way that makes it easy to understand and apply the material.
- Concise chapters presented within short parts move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, safety, clinical dentistry, radiography, materials, specialty dental practice, and dental office administration.
- Superb, full-color illustrations and photographs show procedures, equipment, and instruments.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures show the skills that dental assistants must master, detailing for each the goal, equipment and supplies needed, chronological steps, and rationales.
- Expanded Functions procedures boxes describe special dental assisting procedures allowed only in certain states.
- Procedure icons alert you to issues relating to core procedures, e.g., that you should make notes in the patient's record, don personal protective equipment, or watch for moisture contamination.
- Key terms are accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, highlighted within the text, and defined in boxes on the same or facing page.
- Critical thinking questions end each chapter with mini-case scenarios and application-style questions.
- Learning and performance outcomes in each chapter set goals for what you will accomplish and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and study tools for exam preparation.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to review key concepts and procedures.
- Recall boxes appear after sections of text and include questions to ensure that you understand the material.
- CDC boxes cite the latest recommendations for infection control and summarize regulations.
- Eye to the Future boxes introduce cutting-edge research, future trends, and topics.
- Legal and Ethical Implications boxes focus on the behaviors that you will need to practice to protect yourself, your patients, and the practice for which you work.
- Patient Education boxes summarize content within the context of patient education take-away points.
- A glossary provides a quick and handy way to look up terminology, with chapter references indicating where terms are introduced and discussed within chapters.
- Interactive Dental Office program on the companion Evolve website provides 25 case studies with integrated radiographic mounting and dental charting exercises to help you problem-solve your way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures; games help you review and study in the areas of pathology, radiation safety, business office activities, workplace safety, oral anatomy, and dental instruments.
- Canadian Content Corner on the Evolve site highlights Canadian-specific dental information.
- A student workbook corresponds to the textbook and offers review and practice of essential tasks that dental assistants perform every day, plus competency skill sheets and detachable flashcards for on-the-go review. Sold separately.
By Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDH, MA, Director of Allied Dental Education, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Visiting Research Scholar, Department of Operative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC