Introduction to Maternity and Pediatric Nursing, 7th Edition
"... provides clinical information and insights in a concise, structured and informative way that encourages critical thinking." Reviewed by Kim Shrieves on behalf of Nursing Times, April 2015Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! Unfolding case studies with illustrations follow first-time parents Tess and Luis throughout the stages of pregnancy and birth of their twins, with a series of critical thinking questions.
- NEW! Updated NCLEX exam-style review questions have been revised to a higher cognitive level to better reflect the NCLEX examination.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of bioterrorism and natural disasters better reflects the evolving role of the nurse in disaster situations.
- NEW! Enhanced appendix includes Pediatric Lab Values for quick and easy reference.
- Concise, yet comprehensive, content is presented within the scope of practice for the LVN/LPN, but with sufficient depth to facilitate students in a ladder program allowing them to be successful with the ADN program requirements for the specialties.
- Step-by-step procedure lists throughout the text help you master important maternity and pediatric nursing processes with Skills Performance Checklists available on the Evolve website.
- Nursing Care Plans with Critical Thinking Questions reinforce the nursing process and strengthen problem-solving skills as applied to maternity nursing.
- Logical organization of content from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness makes locating and accessing information easy.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations and text page references help improve terminology and language skills of English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) students and students with limited proficiency in English, before they enter clinical practice.
- Health Promotion boxes emphasize the importance of family-centered care, health promotion and illness prevention, women’s health issues, and growth and development of child and parent to help you understand and teach wellness and disease prevention to patients in your care.
- Nutrition content highlights the importance of proper nutrition for women before, during, and after pregnancy (for those who are breastfeeding), as well as critical information about the nutrition needs and problems of newborns, infants, and children.
- Nursing Tips throughout provide pertinent information applicable in the clinical setting that reinforces what you have just learned while building on previously learned information.
"The main highlight of this text is it value as a teaching tool that it discusses the core principles of practicing maternal-child care alongside the practical application of these broad theories and concepts. Case study and nursing care plan examples and insights are presented in an informative way to assist and support the reader so as to improve the care experience of nursing mothers, children and families." Reviewed by Kim Shrieves on behalf of Nursing Times, April 2015
By Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, CNE, Professor, Obstetric and Pediatric Nursing, Riverside City College, Riverside, CA