Small Animal Toxicology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Enter promotional code 05984 at checkout.
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. This revised and expanded reference is a valuable aid for the practicing veterinary clinician in diagnosing and determining treatment for toxic exposures in small animals, and for veterinary students as a supplement to their classroom instruction. It contains chapters addressing nontraditional areas of toxicology not covered in conventional toxicology texts. It also covers areas of toxicology which seem basic but are rarely discussed, such as taking a toxicological history, establishing a minimum database, providing supportive care, and managing emergency treatment of the poisoned patient. The book is organized into three sections, including 20 new chapters and new topics such as grapes and raisins, lilies, "Christmas time" plants, mercury, and accidental poisoning in non-traditional pets.
New to This Edition
- 20 new chapters have been added
- New topics include a list of toxicants affecting body systems, management of toxins in pregnancy, diagnostic toxicology, bacterial toxins, and cosmetic/toilet articles
- Snake-bite injuries are treated in two separate, expanded chapters: Pit Vipers and Coral Snakes
- Section on pharmaceuticals includes bromides, anticonvulsants, tricycle antidepressants, monoamine oxidize inhibitors, B-adrenergic toxicities, and vitamins A and D
- Additional specific toxicants are covered, including Amitraz, hydramethylon, ethanol, mercury, toad toxins, poisonous frogs, salamanders, newts and venomous arthropods
- New two-color design makes the book more esthetically pleasing and allows for quick retrieval of information
- Toxic Plant Information Summary tables make treatments for plant intoxications easy to find
- Toxic Plant Quick Reference Based on Clinical Signs tables are included, to support small-animal veterinarians in cases of potential toxic plant ingestion
- Summary charts at the beginning of each chapter in the Specific Toxicants section contain bulleted lists with clear-cut information on the specific toxicant, the clinical signs, and prognosis
- A comprehensive review of all known potentially toxic substances is provided, from A (acetaminophen) to Z (zinc), including the very latest on grape and raisin toxicity - making this the most up-to-date and thorough text in this field
- 45 different experts contribute to this book, all from the field of veterinary toxicology and medicine
By Michael E. Peterson, DVM, MS, Reid Veterinary Hospital, Albany, OR, USA; Michael E. Peterson, DVM, MS, Reid Veterinary Hospital, Albany, OR, USA; Patricia A. Talcott, MS, DVM, PhD DipABVT; Michael E. Peterson, DVM, MS, Reid Veterinary Hospital, Albany, OR, USA and Patricia A. Talcott, MS, DVM, PhD DipABVT