The Practice of Nursing Research - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Appraisal, Synthesis, and Generation of Evidence
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; the product description may vary from the print textbook.
With frequent examples from the best of the research literature, this authoritative textprovides you with a comprehensive foundation for appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence for clinical practice. This new edition features an enhanced focus on research as the foundation for evidence-based practice, along with improved readability and more background coverage of qualitative research. This textbook prepares you to understand and apply research, and to go on to conduct original research.
New to This Edition
- Enhanced emphasis on research appraisal and synthesis for evidence-based practice equips students not just to generate research evidence but also to appraise and synthesize existing evidence for application to practice.
- Carefully edited for a more student-friendly readability and active-voice writing style reduces barriers to learning the typically challenging research content.
- In order to focus the text on the more “need to know” content most important for the majority of students, more in-depth content on conceptual models for those planning to lead research studies has been moved from the book to the companion EVOLVE website.
- Fresh, new, full-color design provides a more “open” look that facilitates learning with Key Terms highlighted in color and color tabs for the Index and Glossary.
- Research examples have been updated throughout to reflect the most current research from the published literature, including excellent examples of qualitative studies.
- The coverage of qualitative research has been carefully revised to highlight examples of high-quality qualitative research and to present both qualitative and quantitative approaches as equally valuable.
- EVOLVE website provides examples of both qualitative and quantitative research proposals.
- Now focuses on the “how to’s” of seeking research funding and provides a practical tool to help new researchers move from research proposal to funded research project.
- UNIQUE! Authoritative coverage provides students the opportunity to learn first-hand from the leaders in the field.
- UNIQUE! Separate chapter on the cost-driven field of outcomes research helps nurses to demonstrate that what they do results in positive healthcare outcomes.
- UNIQUE! Provides a separate chapter on the emerging field of intervention research, which establishes "causal explanations" for nursing interventions in response to the growing difficulty of performing true experimental research on human participants.
- Includes all the information needed to help both beginning nurses and beginning nurse-researchers understand and applying research findings to practice and conducting research.
- Includes frequent research examples from the best of the literature, strengthened with high-quality examples from the latest published studies, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Provides the most in-depth coverage of quantitative research methods of any nursing research text on the market.
- Comprehensive EVOLVE teaching/learning package includes an Instructor's Resource Manual, an enriched Test Bank, a PowerPoint Collection, syllabi, Data Set Activities (qualitative and quantitative), and more.
"This text text by Burns and Grove is a classic that continues to improve with each revision. It aims to increase the reader’s skills in evaluating and carrying out research in evidence-based practice- and does this to perfection…This is a comprehensive, one-stop research text, and is highly recommended." Nursing Standard, July 2009
By Susan K. Grove, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX; Adult Nurse Practitioner, Family Practice, Grand Prairie, TX and Jennifer Gray, RN, PhD, Associate Professor, Associate Dean and Department Chair, Department of Nursing Administration, Education, and Research Programs, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas