Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
A Communication Approach to Evidence-Based Care
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; This focused approach to psychiatric mental health provides you with an uncomplicated way to understand the often-intimidating subject of psychiatric nursing. Inside you’ll find two themes of psychiatric mental health nursing: the “How” of Communication and the “Why” of Evidence. You will also find easy-to-understand explanations of the research that applies to psychiatric nursing issues and how to incorporate this evidence into everyday care.Table of Contents
- Emphasizes evidence-based practice related to nursing interventions and the profound impact of research on the advancement of treatment options for individuals with psychiatric disorders.
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes ask a realistic question and then explore the research on the topic to demonstrate how best evidence can be used in everyday practice.
- Highlights therapeutic communication as a core component of mental health nursing and the foundation for successful nurse-patient relationships.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art communication tables walk through nurse-patient interactions to illustrate therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication and provide explanations of mental health nursing concepts.
- Numerous vignettes offer real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Potential Nursing Diagnoses tables give possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs symptoms.
- Nursing Interventions tables list interventions for a given disorder or clinical situation, along with rationales for each intervention.
- Pharmacological, Biological, and Integrative Therapies sections of the clinical chapters cover the range of available treatments for a given disorder, including both traditional and non-traditional treatments.
- Key Points to Remember, Critical Thinking questions, and Chapter Review questions help you understand, apply, and remember important information.
- A companion CD, included with the text and Student Resources on Evolve, reinforce concepts with a variety of engaging learning tools.
By Elizabeth M. Varcarolis, RN, MA, Professor Emeritus, Formerly Deputy Chairperson, Department of Nursing, Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York, NY; Associate Fellow, Albert Ellis Institute for Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), New York, NY and Margaret Jordan Halter, PhD, PMHCNS, Associate Professor, College of Nursing, University of Akron, Akron, OH