Pharmacology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Principles and Applications
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Comprehensive, yet easy to read, this practical textbook introduces you to basic pharmacology principles, with an emphasis on applying them to the kinds of clinical situations you will encounter on the job. You'll learn about how different drugs work in the body, drug dosage calculation methods, drug administration routes and procedures, the importance of keeping accurate medication records, and much more. Plus, a variety of activities and exercises help you strengthen your math, critical thinking, and communication skills.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- An expanded math section helps you sharpen your calculation skills with a wealth of practice problems.
- Additional drug calculation coverage includes more dosage and calculation practice exercises, as well as a new chapter on Principles and Calculations in IV Therapy.
- Expanded pediatric content offers a more thorough understanding of the special dosage and calculation considerations required for this special population.
- Two new appendices — "IV Therapy Basics" and "Combination Drug Products" — offer quick access to essential information.
- Practical coverage of basic pharmacology provides a thorough understanding of the medications most commonly used in ambulatory and inpatient settings.
- Chapter objectives and key words at the beginning of each chapter help you focus your study efforts.
- A real-life "Scenario" starts each chapter with thought provoking questions to consider as you progress through the material.
- Each body system chapter includes a list of the "Common Signs & Symptoms of Diseases" and "Common Side Effects of Medications" to help you distinguish between disease progression and medication reactions.
- Body systems icons help you quickly identify how specific drugs affect a particular body system.
- "Check Your Understanding" math review sections enable you to assess your knowledge of application and calculation concepts.
- Procedures boxes provide step-by-step guidance for drug calculation and administration, accompanied by numerous illustrations and icons that identify OSHA-mandated protocols.
- "Important Facts and Clinical Tips" boxes highlight the most important concepts for practice in each chapter.
- "Patient Education" boxes help you communicate more effectively with patients about possible side effects or adverse reactions.
- "Critical Thinking Exercises" challenge you to apply what you've learned to a variety of realistic situations.
The second edition of Pharmacology: Principles and Applications is a thorough, comprehensive pharmacology text that is well suited for health professions students as a result of its extensive content and effective use of review questions, exercises, color, icons, and graphics to engage students for optimal learning. The text is divided in such a manner that health professions faculty can easily determine which sections of the text should be emphasized in a specific discipline.
Journal of Pharmacy Technology – November/December 2008
By Eugenia M. Fulcher, BSN, MEd, EdD, RN, CMA (AAMA), Allied Health Instructor, Waynesboro, GA; Robert M. Fulcher, BS Chem, BSPh, RPh, Pharmacist, CVS Pharmacy, Waynesboro, GA and Cathy Dubeansky Soto, PhD, MBA, CMA, Program Director, Medical Assisting, El Paso Community College, El Paso, TX