Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2013 Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$89.95|
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with comprehensive coverage from the most trusted source in the field! Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2013 Edition is the practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all of today's coding systems. In-depth, step-by-step explanations of essential coding concepts are followed by practice exercises to reinforce your understanding. In addition to coverage of reimbursement, ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, the 2013 edition offers complete coverage of the ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding system in preparation for the eventual transition. No other text on the market so thoroughly prepares you for all coding sets in one source!Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated content presents the latest coding information so you can practice with the most current information available.
- Dual coding in Units 4 and 5 (where both ICD-10 and ICD-9 answers are provided for every exercise, chapter review, and workbook question) ensures you can code using the systems of both today and tomorrow.
- Complete coverage of the new ICD-10 code set in Unit 2 prepares you for the eventual transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes in Units 2, 3, and 5 present the official outpatient and inpatient guidelines alongside text discussions.
- Concrete "real-life" coding examples help you apply important coding principles and practices to actual scenarios from the field.
- Over 500 total illustrations of medical procedures or conditions help you understand the services being coded.
- Four coding question variations develop your coding ability and critical thinking skills:
- One answer blank for coding questions that require a one-code answer
- Multiple answer blanks for coding questions that require a multiple-code answer
- Identifiers next to the answer blank(s) to guide you through the most difficult coding scenarios
- Answer blanks with a preceding symbol (3 interlocking circles) indicates that the user must decide the number of codes necessary to correctly answer the question
- In-text exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, emphasize key information, and test your retention and understanding.
- From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out!, and CMS Rules boxes offer valuable, up-to-date tips and advice for working in today’s medical coding field.
- Coder’s Index makes it easy to instantly locate specific codes.
- Practice activities on the companion Evolve website reinforce key concepts from the text.
By Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN