2012 ICD-9-CM Coding Theory and Practice with ICD-10 - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
Theory and Practice
Learn to code effectively with ICD-9-CM medical coding and gain a thorough introduction to ICD-10-CM/PCS coding all in one text! Whether you're learning to code for the first time or beginning the transition from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM/PCS, 2012 ICD-9-CM Coding Theory and Practice with ICD-10 delivers the fundamental understanding you need to succeed in hospital and physician settings and prepare for the October 2013 ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation. Leading medical coding authorities Karla Lovaasen and Jennifer Schwerdtfeger combine basic coding principles with proven, practical insight and the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OCGR) to equip you for complete professional success in the changing medical coding field.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Introduction to ICD-10-PCS chapter prepares you to code in inpatient facility settings after the October 2013 ICD-10-CM/PCS implementation date.
- Coverage of both ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/PCS coding equips you for coding success today and in your future career.
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OCGR) provide fast, easy access to the latest codes and examples for proper application.
- Integrated medical record coverage familiarizes you with records and documents youÕll encounter on the job.
- MS-DRG documentation and reimbursement details guide you through this key component of the coding process.
- Line coding exercises and activities challenge you to apply chapter concepts to solve problems.
- A&P content in each coding chapter includes full-color illustrations and clarifies important anatomy and physiology concepts.
- Disease coverage details commonly encountered conditions related to ICD-9-CM coding.
- Updated Coding Clinics references guide you to the latest coding insights from the American Hospital Association (AHA).
- Procedure guidelines help you effectively apply ICD-9-CM Volume 3 codes for success in inpatient facility settings.
- Drug data familiarizes you with medication names you may encounter in medical records for greater coding accuracy.
- Companion Evolve website provides convenient online access to the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR), medical and surgical root operations definitions, MS-DRG list, and answer keys.
By Karla R. Lovaasen, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, Coding and Consulting Services, Abingdon, MD