Community/Public Health Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Promoting the Health of Populations
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Covering the nurse's role in promoting community health, Community/Public Health Nursing, 5th Edition is known for its "upstream" preventive focus and social justice approach, photo novellas with clinical stories, and a concise, readable style. It shows how you, as a nurse, can take an active role in social action and health policy - especially in caring for diverse population groups. Expert authors Mary A. Nies and Melanie McEwen discuss today's issues and trends, and describe the key issues and responsibilities of contemporary community/public health nursing.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New Health Promotion and Risk Reduction chapter details the promotion of health and presents strategies that can identify risk factors for illness.
- Faith Community Nursing chapter reflects current terminology from the ANAÕs Scope and Standards of Practice, and includes more coverage of the spiritual health of clients.
- Health: A Community View chapter expands its discussion of the continual challenges and strategies associated with the delivery of health care.
- Communicable Disease chapter includes new information about public health surveillance, outbreaks, and bioterrorism.
- Cultural Diversity and Community Health Nursing chapter features new content on complementary and alternative therapies.
- An "upstream" focus addresses factors that are the precursors to poor health in the community.
- A "social justice" approach promotes health for everyone.
- Photo novellas use photographs to tell stories showing real-life clinical scenarios and applications of important community health nursing roles.
- Case Study: Application of the Nursing Process feature presents specific community components of the nursing process separately from individual and family.
- Clinical examples offer snippets of real-life client situations.
- Research Highlights boxes show the application of current research to chapter content.
- Ethical Insights boxes highlight ethical issues and concerns.
- Healthy People 2020 boxes summarize objectives and their importance in community health.
- Objectives, key terms, and chapter outlines introduce important concepts and terminology at the beginning of every chapter.
- Learning Activities at the end of each chapter ask you to apply concepts to the world outside the classroom.
By Mary A. Nies, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAAHB, Carol Grotnes Belk Endowed Chair in Nursing and Professor; Adjunct Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC and Melanie McEwen, PhD, RN, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX