Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; the product description may vary from the print textbook.
Using an engaging, interactive, 1-2-3 approach, this text helps you develop problem-solving skills that will be useful throughout your nursing career. Active participation and application of critical thinking are utilized through questions, quizzes, and self-assessments to provide you with practical and efficient aids to learning. You will also discover learning strategies, tips on taking the NCLEX-PN®, guidance on the job search, and an in-depth discussion of supervision, delegation, assignment of tasks, and the distinctions among them. An LPN Threads Series title.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Includes updated State Boards of Nursing and Internet Resources Appendixes with the most up-to-date addresses for nursing boards and website addresses for nursing, medical, and health-related information as an all-in-one ready resource for you as you prepare to enter the work world.
- UNIQUE! Keep In Mind boxes located in each chapter introduce readers to the underlying theme in the chapter.
- UNIQUE! Evolve Student Resources includes 230 NCLEX Exam-Style Interactive Questions per chapter, with correct response and rationales for both correct and incorrect responses, to encourage self-study and review.
- UNIQUE! The “Learning During School, for the NCLEX-PN, and Beyond” chapter includes new content on the role of simulation in nursing education and etiquette for electronic device use, such as cell phones and iPods.
- UNIQUE! The “Personal Health Promotion” chapter helps you provide a positive role model for patients with new content on MyPyramid, the benefits of exercise, personal steps to help prevent hospital-acquired infections, burnout versus stress, and tips for personal safety.
- UNIQUE! Culture content has been expanded content addressing the growing needs of patient care for special populations and to help students develop cultural sensitivity.
- Includes the latest protocols from NAPNES regarding standards of practice and educational competencies that LPN/LVN nursing students need to know.
- UNIQUE! 1-2-3 approach in a clear, simple, engaging writing style instructs you in what you need to do and how to do it.
- UNIQUE! Learning Exercises challenge you to imagine, visualize, and think outside the box.
- UNIQUE! Leadership Activities provide exercises to practice and develop leadership skills and Leadership Hints provide helpful pointers to follow and remember when in various leadership situations.
- UNIQUE! Management Tools and Management Hints provide practical instructions, resources, and tips to use when in a management situation.
- UNIQUE! Offers time-management tips to help prioritize.
- Integrates wellness and personal care throughout the text, including information and coping skills for stress management and burnout, nutrition and exercise, the impaired nurse, and co-dependency.
- Includes separate chapters on “Ethics Apply to Nursing” and “Nursing and the Law” that address pertinent legal and ethical issues that directly and indirectly affect LPN/LVNs.
- Features information on Medicare and the many changes that affect health care, including health care settings, medication coverage, and the costs of managed care.
- Includes a separate chapter on learning strategies for the adult student and updated approaches for traditional and returning students.
- A separate chapter on critical thinking and many critical thinking exercises promotes the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills in both academic and personal situations.
"There is much to recommend in this book, with its focus on leadership and career development. My first year has shown how quickly daily demands of nursing can distract from long-term career goals. The book gives clear pointers to keep focused on your career and moving from student to leader."
Nursing Standard, April 29 2009
By Signe S. Hill, RN, BSN, MA, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI; Helen Stephens Howlett, RN, BSN, MS, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI; Signe S. Hill, RN, BSN, MA, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI and Helen Stephens Howlett, RN, BSN, MS, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI