Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine Current Therapy - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; the product description may vary from the print textbook.
With expert contributors from around the world sharing their knowledge on 57 new cutting-edge areas of interest, Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, Volume 6 continues to provide outstanding coverage of today's most relevant topics. This book is an essential resource in zoo and wild animal medicine, addressing the special challenges posed by individual and herd medical management, newly emerging diseases in diverse wild animal populations, the effect of habitat loss and destruction on wildlife species, and the utilization of zoo animals in the surveillance and detection of potential zoonoses. The user-friendly current therapy approach continues to serve a vital function in the field by fostering a conservation biology ethic, bridging the gap between captive and free-ranging wild animal medicine, from a diverse group of experts.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Presents timely topics in zoo and wild animal medicine with 57 new chapters to provide the best and most current information available.
- The most up-to-date information on hot topics such as avian influenza, West Nile virus, and other pathogens threatening wildlife and human populations on a global scale.
- Cutting-edge insights on environmental and public health concerns, such as occupational exposure to zoonotic simian retroviruses and use of wildlife rehabilitation centers as monitors for ecosystem health.
- A color plate section presents vivid depictions of external clinical signs for more accurate clinical recognition.
- Includes practical guidance on such topics as behavioral training for medical procedures and the use of infrared thermography.
- Divided into four sections -- Conditions Affecting Multiple Species, Poikilotherms, Avian Medicine, and Mammals -- to help you find the information you need quickly.
- Extensive contributor list includes multinational contributors offering expert information on species from around the world.
"The editorial team of Fowler and Miller is synonymous with the most up-to-date and relevant information in the field of zoological medicine. (...) Both editors are from the US, bus they have amassed an international assortment of chapter authors. This gives a truly worldwide view to zoological medicine, drawing on global expertise and highlighting cutting-edge techniques. There is a strong UK representation, as well as the Far and Middle East, Canada, mainland Europe and Australia. (...) Drs Fowler and Miller have once again produced a high-quality text that is a must for all veterinary surgeons working with non-domestic species in either conservation or zoological collection management capacities. - Lesa Longley, The Veterinary Times, September 2009
By Murray E. Fowler, DVM, DACZM, DACVIM, DABVT, Professor Emeritus, Zoological Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA and R. Eric Miller, DVM, DACZM, Director of Animal Health and Conservation, Saint Louis Zoo, Forest Park, St. Louis, MO