Pediatric Dentistry - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Infancy Through Adolescence
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Using a unique age-specific organization, this book discusses all aspects of pediatric dentistry from infancy through adolescence. Each age-specific section covers the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social changes that children experience, as well as the epidemiology of dental disease at that age. Other chapters explore the examination, treatment planning, radiographic concerns, prevention, trauma, restorative dentistry, pulp therapy, orthodontics, and behavior management of each age range.Table of Contents
- Nine chapters are now in full color, providing more detail - especially in the oral pathology and esthetics chapters.
- Revised sedation guidelines for pediatric patients (presented during the May 2004 AAPD meeting) are reflected, so that practitioners stay current on pain and anxiety control issues.
- The latest caries risk assessment information (revised by the AAPD in 2002) is included.
- Text boxes spotlight topics of interest, such as tobacco use, the Alternative Restorative Treatment, and brushing techniques for special-needs children.
- Coverage includes anticipatory guidance, an innovative approach to preventive dentistry - this proactive developmentally based counseling system focuses on the needs of a child at a particular stage of life.
- Coverage of orthodontic diagnosis and treatment situations is expanded, with more illustrations to provide readers with examples of clinical scenarios.
- Contributions on dental trauma in the primary and transitional dentitions are completely rewritten to include the most current developments in trauma management.
- A completely new contribution on pulp therapy for young permanent teeth offers a review of the normal histology of the primary pulp, and discusses the basis for the different forms of pulpal treatment for the primary dentition.
- The behavior management chapter is revised to include the many recent changes in this field, a critical topic of interest when working with pediatric patients.
- Coverage includes chlorhexidine varnish, an oral antimicrobial that continues to be an important tool in the fight against oral disease.
- Emphasis is placed on age-appropriate topics throughout each section, such as genetic disorders in Conception to Age Three; managing trauma in The Primary Dentition Years and The Transitional Years; and esthetics and sports dentistry in Adolescence.
- New appendixes include HIPAA information and a schedule for childhood immunizations - important information for any pediatric office.
Pediatric Dentistry cover the whole panoply of children's dentistry including the early years, the rpimary dentition, the tansitional years and adolescence. It is doubtful that there won't be something for everyone here. All the crucial aspects are covered including sedation, emergincies, pain perception, local anaesthesia and oral surgery in children. All in all a worthwhile and thorough work.
British Dental Journal
By Jimmy R. Pinkham, DDS, MS, Professor and Head, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Iowa, College of Dentistry, Iowa City, IA; Paul S. Casamassimo, DDS, MS, Professor and Chairman, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, College of Dentistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH; Henry W. Fields, Jr., DDS, MS, MSD, Professor, Orthodontics, Dean, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH; Dennis J. McTigue, DDS, MS, Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Columbus, OH and Arthur Nowak, DMD, Professor, Departments of Pediatric Dentistry and Pediatrics, Colleges of Dentistry and Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA