Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office, 13th Edition
A complete guide to insurance billing and coding, Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office, 13th Edition covers all the plans that are most commonly encountered in clinics and physicians’ offices. Its emphasis on the role of the medical insurance specialist includes areas such as diagnostic coding, procedural coding, Medicare, HIPAA, and bill collection strategies. Learning to fill in the claim form accurately is made easier by the use of icons for different types of payers, lists of key abbreviations, and numerous practice exercises. This edition provides the latest on hot topics such as ICD-10, healthcare reform, the new CMS-1500 form, and electronic claims. Trusted for more than 30 years, this proven reference from Marilyn Fordney prepares you to succeed as a medical insurance professional in any outpatient setting.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated coverage of key health insurance topics includes HIPAA compliance, the HITECH Act, health reform of 2010, electronic health records, electronic claims, ICD-10, NUCC standards, Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) Incentive Program, Meaningful Use, and CPT 2013.
- Updated ICD-10 coding information prepares you for the October 2014 ICD-10 implementation date.
- Updated content on claim forms includes block-by-block explanations and examples for the new CMS-1500 Claim Form.
- Updated guidelines for the filing and submission of electronic claims include sample screenshots and prepare you for the future of the medical office.
- Emphasis on the business of running a medical office highlights the importance of the medical insurance specialist in filing clean claims, solving problems, and collecting overdue payments.
- Key terms and key abbreviations are defined and emphasized, reinforcing your understanding of new concepts and terminology.
- Detailed tables, boxes, and illustrations call out key points and main ideas.
- Unique! Color-coded icons clarify information, rules, and regulations for different payers.
- An Evolve companion website enhances learning with performance checklists, self-assessment quizzes, and the Student Software Challenge featuring cases for different payer types and an interactive CMS-1500 form to fill in.
- A workbook contains learning tips, practice exercises for key terms and abbreviations, review questions, study outlines, performance objectives, a chapter with practice tests, and critical thinking activities for hands-on experience with real-world cases. Available separately.
By Marilyn Fordney, CMA-AC, Formerly, Instructor of Medical Insurance, Medical Terminology, Medical Machine Transcription, and Medical Office Procedures, Ventura College, Ventura, CA