Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2012 Edition
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with comprehensive coverage from the most trusted source in the field! Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2012 Edition is the practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all of today's coding systems by providing an in-depth introduction to essential coding concepts followed by practice exercises that reinforce your understanding. In addition to coverage of reimbursement, ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, the 2012 edition offers complete coverage of the ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding system in preparation for the transition in 2013. No other text on the market so thoroughly prepares you for all coding systems in one source!Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated content presents the latest coding information so you can practice with the most current information available.
- Primary focus on ICD-10 features color coded units and chapters that are easy to identify.
- Complete coverage of the new ICD-10 code set prepares you for the upcoming transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 in October 2013.
- Dual coding in Units 4 and 5 (where both ICD-10 and ICD-9 answers are provided for every exercise, chapter review, and workbook question) ensures you can code using the systems of both today and tomorrow.
- Consistent, full-color design provides easy navigation and presents material in a unique, compelling way.
- In-text exercises throughout each chapter reinforce coding rules and concepts and follow the book's step-by-step approach.
- Quick Check features immediately reinforce key concepts and test your retention and understanding.
- Concrete "real-life" coding examples help you apply important coding principles and practices to actual scenarios from the field.
- Toolbox features provide additional real-world cases for analyzing and applying your coding knowledge.
- Over 450 total illustrations of medical procedures or conditions help you understand the services being coded.
- Answer formats develop your coding ability by using a format that includes one of four response variations:
- One answer blank for coding questions that require a one-code answer
- Multiple answer blanks for coding questions that require a multiple-code answer
- Identifiers next to the answer blank(s) to guide you through the most difficult coding scenarios
- Answer blanks with a preceding symbol (3 interlocking circles) indicates that the user must decide the number of codes necessary to correctly answer the question
- From the Trenches quotes offer valuable, up-to-date insights from instructors and professionals in the medical coding field.
- Coding Shots provide tips for complicated coding scenarios and advice for entering the job market.
- Stop! notes summarize recent material to aid your retention and help transition into the next topic.
- Caution! notes warn of common coding mistakes and reinforce the concept of coding as an exact science.
- Check This Out! boxes offer notes on accessing reference information, primarily via the Internet.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes in Units 3 and 5 present the official outpatient and inpatient guidelines alongside text discussions.
- Practice activities and Coding Guidelines available on the companion Evolve website reinforce key concepts from the text and provide fast, easy access to the most up-to-date content.
- Coder's Index makes it easy to instantly locate specific codes.
By Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN