Roberts and Hedges’ Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine, 6th Edition
Expert Consult - Online and Print
Roberts and Hedges’ Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine continues its long tradition of being the most well-known and trusted procedures manual in emergency medicine. The newly revised 6th edition of this classic medical reference has been thoroughly updated with step-by-step Review, Procedure, and Ultrasound Boxes covering the latest equipment, devices, drug therapies, and techniques you need to know for effective practice of emergency medicine. You'll access complete and detailed guidance on exactly when, how, and why to perform all of today’s common and uncommon procedures and get the best results.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- See entire procedures at a glance with the addition of new Procedure Boxes, which offer step-by-step visual instruction on over 250 emergency techniques. Ideal for point-of-care reference, these Procedure Boxes also serve as a comprehensive mini atlas and are especially useful for less-encountered procedures or those that require complex equipment.
- Easily apply the latest emergency ultrasound techniques through new Ultrasound Boxes, all of which are expertly written and richly illustrated with photographs of the technique as well as screen captures of the US images.
- Master today's hottest new procedures including ultrasound for diagnosis of pneumothorax; loop abscess drainage; pediatric fluid resuscitation; and video-assisted intubation.
- Clearly and efficiently visualize all emergency procedures with a complete overhaul of figures, now nearly all in full color; new diagnostic images representing multiple modalities; and online-only procedural videos demonstrating key techniques.
- Understand the ins and outs of every procedure you're likely to consider, such as how, why, when to, and when not to perform them, in addition to other emergency procedures that may be an option.
- Rapidly review the entire contents online, including brand-new videos of common and complex procedures, at Expert Consult.
Excerpts from Doody’s review service
Weighted Numerical Score: 98 - 5 Stars!
The purpose is to provide a thorough, yet easily accessible reference on the broad range of procedures that are performed by emergency providers. This is an important objective due to the extensive depth of knowledge and skills that are needed in the emergency department.
This book is intended for emergency providers, primarily physicians and advanced care practitioners. However, it also would be useful for other caregivers such as medical students and first responders.
The topic of emergency procedures is vast and this book covers an exhaustive list of them, from bread-and-butter emergency medicine to the less commonly performed techniques. The procedures are organized by organ system in a logical and easy to follow fashion. Each procedure is covered extensively with a thorough description, yet has easy to follow paragraphs and figures for a clear and concise review. Procedures boxes and online video atlas have been added to this edition and full access to the content is available online using a unique activation code.
Roberts & Hedges, as it is known to all ER physicians, has been considered the gold standard for emergency procedures for decades, and the sixth edition does not disappoint. This book truly covers an exhaustive list of emergency procedures with great attention to detail. The graphs and figures accurately demonstrate many of the procedures, making this an invaluable resource for quick review at the bedside."
-Michael D. Zwank, MD, RDMS, FACEP (University of Minnesota Medical School) and Marc Ellingson, MD (Regions Hospital)
By James R. Roberts, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, FACMT, Professor of Emergency Medicine, Vice Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, Senior Consultant, Division of Toxicology, The Drexel University College of Medicine; Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine, Director, Division of Medical Toxicology, Mercy Catholic Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania