Phillips' Science of Dental Materials, 12th Edition
Get all the details on the latest dental materialsTable of Contents
New to This Edition
The 11th edition of this leading reference is an outstanding, scientifically based source of information in the field of dental materials science. It presents up-to-date information on materials that are used in the dental office and laboratory every day, emphasizing practical, clinical use, as well as the physical, chemical, and biological properties of materials. Extensive new clinical photographs in this edition illustrate the topics, and color plates are integrated close to related concepts as they're discussed in each chapter. A new glossary of key terms found at the beginning of every chapter defines terms in the appropriate context of the chapter's discussion. Also in this edition, critical thinking questions throughout the book stimulate the readers' curiosity on specific topics, test their existing knowledge, and heighten their awareness of important or controversial subjects.
- Organization of chapters and content into four parts (General Classes and Properties of Dental Materials; Auxiliary Dental Materials; Direct Restorative Materials; and Indirect Restorative Materials) presents the material in a logical and effective way for better comprehension and readability.
- Balance between materials science and manipulation bridges the gap of knowledge between dentists and lab technicians.
- Major emphasis on biocompatibility serves as a useful guide for clinicians and educators on material safety.
- Distinguished contributor pool lends credibility and experience to each topic discussed.
- Critical thinking questions appearing in boxes throughout each chapter stimulate thinking and encourage classroom discussion of key concepts and principles.
- Key terms presented at the beginning of each chapter helps familiarize readers with key terms so you may better comprehend text material.
- Content has been completely updated to include information on the most current dental materials available.
- Glossaries at the beginning of each chapter define key terms used within the context of that chapter.
- Revised artwork gives this edition a fresh look, with high-quality illustrations and clinical photos to aid in the visualization of materials and procedures described.
- Reorganization and consolidation of chapters into four major book parts presents the material in a more efficient way:
- Part I describes the principles of materials science that control the performance of dental materials in dental laboratories, research laboratories, student dental clinics, public health clinics, and private practice clinics.
- Part II focuses on impression materials, gypsum products, dental waxes, casting investments and procedures, and finishing and polishing abrasives and procedures.
- Part III provides an updated scientific and applied description of the composition, manipulation principles, properties, and clinical performance of bonded restorations, restorative resins, dental cements, dental amalgams, and direct-filling golds.
- Part IV presents a basic and applied description of materials that are processed in a laboratory or dental clinic.
- Critical thinking questions appear in every chapter to stimulate thinking and classroom discussion.
- The overall design has been improved to provide a more visually appealing format.
By Kenneth J. Anusavice, DMD, PhD, Professor and Chairman, Department of Dental Biomaterials, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL