Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions, 5th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$50.67|
Understand the pathology and diagnostic coding for hundreds of common conditions with easeTable of Contents
New to This Edition
Offering quick access to the pathological conditions most commonly seen in the physician’s office, this portable text/reference is ideal for administrative and clinical medical assistants who have responsibilities such as billing, coding, telephone screening, taking patient examinations, understanding diagnostic and treatment procedures, and putting together patient education programs. Reflecting the latest changes in the field, this fourth edition describes over 500 conditions and disorders, and includes ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes for each disease entry. A companion website enhances understanding with exercises, patient screening and patient teaching critical thinking questions, A&P web links, and certification exam review questions.
- Enrichment boxes relate disease information to everyday practice.
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes included for each disease entry provide valuable practice looking up codes and illustrate differences between the two code sets.
- Current information on the most commonly encountered clinical disorders is presented in small segments for easier understanding.
- Full-color illustrations clarify difficult concepts.
- Consistent coverage for all diseases walks you through each step of patient care and treatment, including:
- Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Screening UNIQUE!
- Patient Teaching
- Pharmacology appendix details drug names, therapeutic objectives, side effects, and general comments for commonly prescribed drugs.
- Alerts highlight safety precautions for physician-based practice.
- Review Challenges reinforce content and reveal areas requiring additional study.
- Real-life Challenges test your ability to apply chapter content to real-world cases.
- Internet activities on the companion Evolve site broaden your understanding and direct you to additional information available online.
- Anatomy and physiology reviews of specific body systems include clearer descriptions and more illustrations, helping students compare systems in normal and disease states.
- Coverage of Avian Flu describes how diseases emerge from the animal to the human world, and prepares medical assistants for the potential dangers of this disease.
- Key Terms include pronunciations and are broken down into prefixes, roots and suffixes.
By Margaret Schell Frazier, RN, CMA, BS, Formerly-Department Chair, Health and Human Services Division, Program Chair, Medical Assisting Program, Ivy Tech State College, Fort Wayne, IN and Jeanette Drzymkowski, RN, BS, Formerly-Associate Faculty, Ivy Tech State College, Northeast, Fort Wayne, IN