Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians, 2nd Edition
Written for pharmacy technicians, and addressing the competencies developed by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians, 2nd Edition helps you learn to calculate drug dosages safely and accurately. A practical worktext format covers everything from basic math skills to reading and interpreting labels and physicians' orders, introducing key calculation and conversion concepts and then providing hundreds of problems so you can practice and master the material. Other vital topics include conversions between the various measurement systems, reconstituting liquid medications, and calculating medications based on a patient's age or body weight. Written by experienced pharmacist Robert Fulcher and educator Eugenia Fulcher, Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians helps you learn calculation skills and develop the competencies needed by pharmacy technicians.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Updated content meets ASHP requirements and features new topics such as powder volume and compounding problems, formulas for reducing and enlarging medications, and opportunities to write out prescription label directions.
- Tech Note boxes offer helpful advice on real-life situations you may encounter in the pharmacy.
- Tech Alert boxes warn against common pharmacy and medication errors that could impact patients' safety.
- Additional prescription and practice exercises give you valuable experience with translating physician directions into patient instructions.
- Learning objectives and definitions of key words begin each chapter.
- Pretests in each chapter allow readers to assess their current knowledge of specific topics.
- Step-by-step examples make it easy to learn and remember how to do equations and use formulas.
- Hundreds of practice problems provide practice with calculations, conversions, and measurements.
- Actual drug labels accompany examples and problems, for real-world experience with the information you will see in pharmacy practice.
- Business Math for Pharmacy Technicians chapter introduces the calculations needed in retail pharmacy settings.
- Body system icons appear next to medication names to help you associate different drugs with their respective disorders and body systems.
- Points to Remember boxes make it easy to learn and remember key information.
- Review of Rules sections in each chapter summarize the rules and methods for performing equations.
- Chapter reviews provide a quick summary of the key concepts in each chapter.
- Posttests in each chapter allow you to assess how well you have learned the material.
- A comprehensive posttest includes 50 questions that assess your knowledge of all major topics covered in the book.
- Helpful study tools also include an answer key for odd-numbered problems and a comprehensive glossary.
By Robert M. Fulcher, BS Chem, BSPh, RPh, Pharmacist, CVS Pharmacy, Waynesboro, GA and Eugenia M. Fulcher, BSN, MEd, EdD, RN, CMA (AAMA), Allied Health Instructor, Waynesboro, GA