Sheep and Goat Medicine, 2nd Edition
Authoritative yet easy to read, Sheep and Goat Medicine, 2nd Edition covers all the latest advances in sheep and goat medicine, including medical treatment, surgery, theriogenology, and nutrition. Full-color photographs and clear instructions provide the answers you need, guiding you through common procedures and techniques such as restraint for examination, administration of drugs, blood collection, and grooming; these descriptions are often accompanied by explanatory diagrams and charts. With diseases, surgeries, and treatments organized by body system, information is always easy to find. New to this edition are chapters on parasite control, nutritional requirements, and performing a necropsy. Developed by Dr. D.G. Pugh, a world-renowned expert on the medical care of sheep and goats, this reference is unmatched for its comprehensive coverage of herd health, physical examination, anesthesia, and multisystem diseases.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Full-color photographs and graphics accurately depict conditions and procedures.
- New Fluid Therapy and Nutritional Support chapter covers emergency and critical care essential to the care of sheep and goats.
- New Gastrointestinal Parasitism chapter covers treatments for parasites, key to the successful management of all flocks.
- New Necropsy chapter helps you prevent disease outbreaks in a flock by determining the cause of death.
- Clear writing style makes the book useful and easy to understand, even for sheep and/or goat owners who are not veterinarians.
- Both surgery and medicine are covered in each body systems chapter, so it's easier to choose between treatment options for specific disorders.
- Superbly illustrated surgical procedures clearly demonstrate the steps to follow in performing surgical procedures.
- An explanation of the differences in normal behavior between sheep and goats shows how they are not the same, and require different methods of treatment.
- A consistent, logical format in each body systems chapter makes information easy to find by beginning with physical examination and diagnostic procedures, followed by discussions of common diseases that involve the system.
- Consistent headings include pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
- A comprehensive nutrition chapter covers diet evaluation, method of balancing rations, total parenteral nutrition, and examples of nutritious diets.
- Practical formulas are included for making sodium sulfite for testing passive transfer, and Sheather's solution for fecal flotation.
- Useful appendixes summarize essential information on drugs and drug dosages, fluid therapy, and normal values and conversions.
- A diverse, authoritative panel of contributors provides current information on the care of valuable breeding stock as well as pets.
"The text is easy to read and understand; the reader does not have to wade through scientific writing to find the helpful information...Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this text to any farm practice with sheep and goat clients on the books. It provides a concise and user-friendly manual for easy reference."
Vet Record, April 2012
By D. G. Pugh, DVM, MS, Diplomate- American College of Theriogenologists; Diplomate- American College of Veterinary Nutrition; Professor Food Animal Section, SouthernTraxx Veterinary Services, Waverly, Alabama, A.N. Baird, DVM, MS, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons Section Chief, Large Animal Surgery, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University, School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana