Pharmacology, 3rd Edition
Principles and Applications
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$56.52|
Master pharmacology competencies and safely administer medicationsTable of Contents
New to This Edition
Comprehensive, yet easy to read, this practical textbook introduces you to basic pharmacology principles, with an emphasis on applying them to the kinds of clinical situations you will encounter on the job. You’ll learn about how different drugs work in the body, drug dosage calculation methods, drug administration routes and procedures, the importance of keeping accurate medication records, and much more. Plus, a variety of activities and exercises help you strengthen your math, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Practical coverage of basic pharmacology provides a thorough understanding of the medications most commonly used in ambulatory and inpatient settings.
- A real-life Scenario starts each chapter with thought-provoking questions to consider as you progress through the material.
- Procedures boxes provide step-by-step guidance for drug calculation and administration, accompanied by numerous illustrations and icons that identify OSHA-mandated protocols.
- Common Signs & Symptoms of Diseases and Common Side Effects of Medications lists in each body system chapter help you distinguish between disease progression and medication reactions.
- Body systems icons highlight the ways that specific drugs affect a particular body system.
- Chapter objectives and key words at the beginning of each chapter help you focus your study efforts.
- Check Your Understanding math review sections enable you to assess your knowledge of application and calculation concepts.
- Critical Thinking exercises challenge you to apply what you've learned to a variety of realistic situations.
- Important Facts and Clinical Tips boxes in each chapter highlight the key concepts for practice.
- Patient Education for Compliance boxes help you communicate more effectively with patients about possible side effects or adverse reactions.
The second edition of Pharmacology: Principles and Applications is a thorough, comprehensive pharmacology text that is well suited for health professions students as a result of its extensive content and effective use of review questions, exercises, color, icons, and graphics to engage students for optimal learning. The text is divided in such a manner that health professions faculty can easily determine which sections of the text should be emphasized in a specific discipline.
Journal of Pharmacy Technology – November/December 2008
- An expanded math section helps you sharpen your calculation skills with a wealth of practice problems.
- Additional drug calculation coverage includes more dosage and calculation practice exercises
- Expanded pediatric content offers a more thorough understanding of the special dosage and calculation considerations required for this special population.
By Eugenia M. Fulcher, RN, BSN, MEd, EdD, CMA, Former Program Director, Medical Assisting, Swainsboro Technical College, Waynesboro, GA