Cytology E-Book, 3rd Edition
This new edition examines the latest diagnostic techniques for the interpretation of a complete range of cytological specimens. It is concise, yet covers all of the organ systems in which the procedure is used, with the number of pages devoted to each body site proportional to the clinical relevance of cytology for that site. Inside, you'll find new information on ductal lavage cytology and expanded coverage of FNA performance, keeping you current with the newest procedures. Over 700 full-color illustrations provide you with a real-life perspective of a full range of cytologic findings. Each chapter includes a discussion of indications and methods, along with a section on differential diagnosis accompanied by ancillary diagnostic techniques such as immunohistochemistry and molecular biology, where appropriate. As an Expert Consult title, it includes online access to the complete text of the book, fully searchable-as well as all of the images downloadable for your personal use-at www.expertconsult.com.
New to This Edition
- Features anytime, anywhere online access to the complete text of the book, fully searchable-as well as all of the images downloadable for your personal use-at www.expertconsult.com.
- Covers automated cytology and HPV testing in Cervical and Vaginal Cytology chapter, providing an up-to-date reference on the techniques used in today's labs.
- Offers new information on ductal lavage cytology and expanded coverage of FNA performance, keeping you current with the newest procedures.
- Discusses the implementation of proficiency testing and changes in laboratory inspection and accreditation.
- Includes recommendations from the 2008 National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration State of the Science Conference.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of everyday diagnostic work in a concise format for a practical benchside manual.
- Covers every type of cytology-gynecology, non-gynecology, and FNA.
- Presents an in-depth differential diagnosis discussion for all major entities.
- Examines the role of special techniques such as immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, and molecular biology in resolving difficulties in interpretation and diagnosis.
- Provides an in-depth analysis of common diagnostic pitfalls to assist with daily signing out and reporting.
- Features coverage of patient management in discussions of pertinent clinical features.
- Uses capsule summaries featuring easy-to-read bulleted text that provide a quick review of key differential diagnoses, diagnostic pitfalls, cytomorphologic features, and tissue acquisition protocols for specific entities.
- Includes over 700 full-color illustrations that provide you with a real-life perspective of a full range of cytologic findings.
By Edmund S. Cibas, MD, Assistant Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School; Director, Division of Cytology, Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA