Modern Dental Assisting, 10th Edition
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$120.00|
Prepare for a successful career as a dental assistant! Modern Dental Assisting is the leading text in dental assisting -- the most trusted, the most comprehensive, and the most current. Using an easy-to-understand approach, this resource offers a complete foundation in the basic and advanced clinical skills you must master to achieve clinical competency. It describes dental assisting procedures with photographs and clear, step-by-step instructions. Along with the textbook, this complete learning package includes a companion Evolve website replete with learning exercises and games and a DVD with video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions. Written by Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, two well-known and well-respected dental assisting educators, this edition is also available as a Pageburst e-book.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW content includes areas such as digital imaging, implant dentistry, sleep dentistry, dental materials, the electronic patient record, HIPAA laws and implications, stem cell research, and caries prevention.
- Expanded information about working with special needs and medically compromised patients includes eating disorders, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- NEW procedures include taking a patient's oximetry and ECG, applying fluoride varnish, using the caries detection device, and performing extraoral and intraoral photography, in addition to several new radiographic procedures.
- NEW photos show current products and equipment.
- Procedure exercises on Evolve offer practice in correctly ordering the steps in each procedure.
- A companion DVD features more than 70 video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions, including two new clips: Assisting in a Class II Amalgam Restoration, and Positioning the High-Volume Evacuator During a Procedure.
- Online practice CDA examination mimics the style of the CDA exam with 250 multiple-choice questions with answers, rationales, and chapter references to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and prepare for the exam.
- Comprehensive coverage makes this your single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- A highly approachable writing style presents the latest information and procedures in a way that makes it easy to understand and apply the material.
- Concise chapters presented within short parts move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, safety, clinical dentistry, radiography, materials, specialty dental practice, and dental office administration.
- Superb, full-color illustrations and photographs show procedures, equipment, and instruments.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures show the skills that dental assistants must master, detailing for each the goal, equipment and supplies needed, chronological steps, and rationales.
- Expanded Functions procedures boxes describe special dental assisting procedures allowed only in certain states.
- Procedure icons alert you to issues relating to core procedures, e.g., that you should make notes in the patient's record, don personal protective equipment, or watch for moisture contamination.
- Key terms are accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, highlighted within the text, and defined in boxes on the same or facing page.
- Critical thinking questions end each chapter with mini-case scenarios and application-style questions.
- Learning and performance outcomes in each chapter set goals for what you will accomplish and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and study tools for exam preparation.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to review key concepts and procedures.
- Recall boxes appear after sections of text and include questions to ensure that you understand the material.
- CDC boxes cite the latest recommendations for infection control and summarize regulations.
- Eye to the Future boxes introduce cutting-edge research, future trends, and topics.
- Legal and Ethical Implications boxes focus on the behaviors that you will need to practice to protect yourself, your patients, and the practice for which you work.
- Patient Education boxes summarize content within the context of patient education take-away points.
- A glossary provides a quick and handy way to look up terminology, with chapter references indicating where terms are introduced and discussed within chapters.
- Interactive Dental Office program on the companion Evolve website provides 25 case studies with integrated radiographic mounting and dental charting exercises to help you problem-solve your way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures; games help you review and study in the areas of pathology, radiation safety, business office activities, workplace safety, oral anatomy, and dental instruments.
- Canadian Content Corner on the Evolve site highlights Canadian-specific dental information.
- A student workbook corresponds to the textbook and offers review and practice of essential tasks that dental assistants perform every day, plus competency skill sheets and detachable flashcards for on-the-go review. Sold separately.
By Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDH, MA, Director of Allied Dental Education, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Research Assistant Professor and Study Coordinator,Visiting Research Scholar, Department of Operative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC