Pharmacology, 7th Edition
A Nursing Process Approach
Featuring concise, straightforward coverage, Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach, 7th Edition puts nursing pharmacology concepts and essential drug calculation skills into a practical nursing context to prepare you for real-world drug administration responsibilities. This edition has been revised and updated with the most current nursing pharmacology information available. Innovative features such as Prototype Drug Charts, Nursing Process Summaries, an extensive math/dosage calculation section, and NCLEX® Examination-style study questions make nursing pharmacology more understandable than ever.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New medication safety chapter discusses medication errors, specific nursing measures to prevent medication errors, possible consequences of medication errors to nurses, responses to errors, reporting and learning from mistakes, and related ethical issues.
- Enhanced NCLEX® Examination-style study questions are now more application-based and include at least one alternate-item format question per chapter.
- Updated chapters on cultural considerations and women's health bring you the latest information on these important considerations in drug therapy.
- More reader-friendly and understandable than ever, this edition features helpful new photos throughout.
- Unique! Prototype Drug Charts provide easy access to key information on dosages, contraindications, drug-lab-food interactions, pharmacokinetics, and more for more than 100 drugs.
- Unique! An extensive, color-coded dosage calculation section covers six methods of dosage calculation - basic formula, ratio and proportion, fractional equation, dimensional analysis, and dosing by body weight and body surface area - eliminating the need for a separate dosage calculation book.
- Nursing Process Summaries present client care and drug therapy within the framework of each step of the nursing process, including information on client teaching and cultural and herbal considerations.
- Preventing Medication Errors boxes reinforce concepts introduced in the medication safety chapter and highlight common errors that occur in clinical practice to help you ensure safe drug administration.
- Herbal Alerts provide a quick reference to side effects, drug interactions, and additional information for popular herbs you may encounter in practice.
- A fully updated bioterrorism appendix helps you recognize the clinical manifestations of bioterrorism weapons and respond with appropriate nursing care.
- Unique! Illustrated overviews of normal anatomy and physiology in all drug therapy chapters help you understand how drugs work in various body systems.
- Critical Thinking Case Studies at the end of each chapter challenge you to apply your knowledge and analytical skills to realistic client scenarios.
- NCLEX® Study Questions for each chapter help prepare you for the growing pharmacology coverage on the NCLEX® Examination. Answers are listed upside-down at the bottom of the page for quick feedback.
"Addition of the right assessment, documentation, and evaluation and refusal, should enhance patient safety and reduce the numbers of patients harmed by their medications."
Nursing Standard, November 2011
By Joyce LeFever Kee, MS, RN, Associate Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, College of Health and Nursing Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE; Evelyn R. Hayes, PhD, MPH, FNP-BC, Professor, School of Nursing, College of Health and Nursing Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE and Linda E. McCuistion, PhD, RN, ANP, CNS, Professor, South University, Richmond Campus, Glen Allen, VA