Piermattei's Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Bones and Joints of the Dog and Cat, 5th Edition
This expertly illustrated atlas has been the go-to reference in veterinary orthopedic surgery for nearly 50 years and remains the premier resource for small animal surgical procedures. As in prior editions, Piermattei's Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Bones and Joints of the Dog and Cat, 5th Edition is teeming with highly detailed drawings that illustrate a wide range of surgical approaches. This edition also features six all new surgical approaches and three approaches which have been expanded to illustrate the modifications required when performing orthopedic surgery on the cat. In addition to updated images throughout, fifty-five brand new illustrations accompany the new surgical approaches. As many will attest, Piermattei’s Atlas is an invaluable reference that no small animal surgeon should be without.
"If you still don’t have a previous edition of Piermattei’s atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat on your bookshelves, this is a must have. If you already have a previous edition, the difference between the 4th and 5th are not big, but there are a few additions that will still make it a worthwhile buy." Benito De La Puerta, Ldo, Cert SAS Dip ECVS, UK, Oct. 14Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! Six all-new approaches to surgical procedures have been added to the text. They include:
- Approach to the Lumbosacral Intervertebral Disk and Foramen Through a Lateral Transilial Osteotomy
- Approach to the Medial Region of the Shoulder Joint
- Minimally Invasive Approach to the Shaft of the Humerus
- Approach to the Lateral Aspect of the Hemipelvis
- Minimally Invasive Approach to the Shaft of the Femur
- Minimally Invasive Approach to the Shaft of the Tibia
- NEW! Expanded coverage of modifications required when performing orthopedic surgery on the cat include:
- Approach to the Lateral Aspect of the Humeral Condyle and Epicondyle in the Cat
- Approach to the Craniodorsal Aspect of the Hip Joint Through a Craniolateral Incision in the Cat
- Approach to the Shaft of the Femur in the Cat
- NEW! Updated images provide a better picture of various surgical approaches.
- Step-by-step procedures walk you through proper positioning, anatomic landmarks, potential dangers, and increasing exposure.
- Primary indications listed for each surgical approach help you quickly determine which approach is most appropriate for a particular surgery.
- Consistent format features text on the left side and illustration plates on the right, for quick access to key information.
- High-quality drawings created by an expert medical artist provide exceptional clarity, realism, and detail.
- Cross-references throughout the text make it easy to compare surgical approaches for the same body area.
- Full pages dedicated to each plate allow you to more easily view anatomical parts and approaches.
"I have used every edition of this book over the years as it has been, and continues to be, the only book that provides such comprehensive surgical anatomic detail with excellent illustrations of surgical approaches. It has been 10 years since the last edition and since that time veterinary surgeons have been adopting some of the minimally invasive techniques that are being used in human orthopedics for their small animal patients. A revised edition describing those approaches is therefore timely. The additional surgical anatomic descriptions of orthopedic approaches in cats are also welcome."-Tisha Harper, DVM, MS(University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine) Doody Review: 4stars
By Kenneth A. Johnson, MVSc, PhD, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH