Textbook of Family Medicine, 8th Edition
Expert Consult - Online and Print
Edited by Robert E. Rakel, MD and David P. Rakel, MD, Textbook of Family Medicine remains your #1 choice for complete guidance on the principles of family medicine, primary care in the community, and all aspects of clinical practice. Ideal for both residents and practicing physicians, it includes evidence-based, practical information to optimize your patient care and prepare you for the ABFM exam. The full-color format features a clean, quick-reference layout that makes it easy for you to put information to work immediately in your practice. You can also access the complete contents online at www.expertconsult.com, plus 30 videos of common office procedures, additional chapters on timely topics, and figures, tables, and photographs that supplement the text.
New to This Edition
- Access the complete contents and illustrations online at www.expertconsult.com - fully searchable - plus additional figures, tables, and photographs online, as well as online-only chapters that cover topics such as prescribing nutritional supplements and botanicals.
- View 30 videos online covering common office procedures such as vasectomy, the proper use of today’s diabetic equipment, and endometrial biopsy.
- Gain a new understanding of the patient-centered medical home and how to achieve this status in outpatient clinics.
- Make the most effective care decisions with help from "Evidence vs. Harm" icons that guide you through key treatments of common medical conditions.
- Prepare for success on the ABFM exam with complete coverage of all aspects of family medicine.
- Access information quickly with an efficient, full-color layout that makes it easy to apply the latest knowledge in your practice.
- Take advantage of today’s most useful online resources with a convenient list of outstanding clinical websites.
- Quickly spot "Best Evidence Recommendations" with special boxes located throughout the text.
- Glean helpful tips on diagnosis and therapy from "Key Points" boxes found on every page.
Doody’s Review Service
Reviewer: Vincent F. Carr, DO, MSA, FACC, FACP (Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences)
This is the eighth edition of a comprehensive book for family physicians, particularly those preparing for their certification examinations. The previous edition was published in 2007.
It is designed to cover the topics frequently encountered in the clinical practice of family medicine. All of the contributors are family physicians.
It covers all the concepts of family medicine very well, from the opening chapters that define what family physicians are and their role in the health of the entire family by describing the concept of the patient-centered medical home, preventative care, care of the elderly and dying patient, and understanding and applying evidence-based medicine. The book is then broken into common diagnoses with chapters on infectious diseases, pulmonary medicine, etc. There are extensive tables, key points, and full-color figures. There is an access key to a full-text web-based version that is very easy to navigate with excellent graphics. As noted in the book, the reference list is on the website, not in the print version.
This is an extremely well-written, well-produced book and a necessary addition to one’s personal professional library.
Weighted Numerical Score: 100 - 5 Stars!
By Robert E. Rakel, MD, Family Practice Center, Houston, TX and David Rakel, MD, Assistant Professor of Family Medicine; Director, University of Wisconsin Integrative Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI