Equine Surgery, 4th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
The most comprehensive reference available on equine surgery, this book prepares the veterinary surgeon for managing each surgical condition by understanding its pathophysiology and evaluating alternative surgical approaches. Explanations describe how to avoid surgical infections, select and use instruments, and perfect fundamental surgical techniques including incisions, cautery, retractions, irrigation, surgical suction, wound closure, dressings, bandages, and casts.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! More clinical detail on treatment, diagnosis, and procedures offers more practical information for the general equine practitioner while providing an up-to-date resource for specialists. Minimally invasive surgery and regenerative medicine also have a more prominent role in this edition.
- NEW! Section on Diagnostic Imaging Examination includes chapters on Radiography, Ultrasonography, Nuclear Scintigraphy, Computed Tomography, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- NEW! Completely updated sections including the Eye and Adnexa and Urinary System feature new authors and chapter content.
- NEW! Expanded section on The Musculoskeletal System includes all new chapters on Metallic Instruments and Implants, Management of Bursitis, and Postoperative Physiotherapy Surgery for the Orthopedic Patient.
- ALL NEW! Chapters on Regenerative Medicine, Chemical Restraint for Long Standing, Radiography, Ultrasonography, Nuclear Scintigraphy, Computed Tomography, Metallic Instruments and Implants, Management of Bursitis, and Postoperative Physiotherapy for the Orthopedic Patient bring practitioners up to date with best practices.
- World-renowned contributors include over 70 of the most expert equine specialist surgeons, each providing current and accurate information.
- Complete coverage of all information needed to study for the American and European College of Veterinary Surgeons Board Examinations makes this edition an excellent study tool.
- Section on anesthesiology and pain management prepares you to manage these critical aspects of any surgery.
- Extensive, up-to-date orthopedic coverage includes joint disorders and joint trauma.
- Section on integumentary system contains information on wound management, reconstructive surgery, and skin grafting.
- Section on the alimentary system covers postoperative care, complications and reoperation guidelines.
- New techniques in vascular surgery keep you current on best practices.
- The most comprehensive text on equine surgery focuses on diagnosis and treatment to provide equine practitioners with the information they need to effectively manage and surgically treat equine disorders.
- Broad collection of high-quality images that were taken by the contributors during surgical procedures to provide the best instructions for other surgeons.
"That 'Auer and Stick' remains the definitive text for equine surgery residents the world over...In this new edition, several chapters have been added, and lots of minor updates have ensured and that it is bang up to date with new deelopments...Of particular interest to the general reader will be new chapters on regenerative medicine, chemical restraint for standing surgery, diagnostic imaging and postoperative physiotherapy of the orthopaedic patient...For many readers, this could be described as the only equine surgical text they will ever need."
Veterinary Record, February 2012
"Equine surgery is a useful reference text for all veterinarians who see equine patients. This book contains a wealth of information on examination, medical management and prognosis such that even veterinarins who refer on all surgical cases would still find it incredibly useful...Equine surgery is an excellent up-to-date surgical reference text, which also provides a good deal of information on equine medicine."
Australian Veterinary Journal, May 2012
By Jorg A. Auer, Dr Med Vet, MS, Diplomate ACVS, ECVS, Professor of Surgery, Director, Veterinary Surgery Clinic, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland and John A. Stick, DVM, Diplomate ACVS, Professor and Chief of Staff, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI