Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing, 6th Edition
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing provides a solid foundation in obstetrics and pediatric nursing. An easy-to-follow organization by developmental stages, discussion of disorders by body system from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness, and a focus on family health make it a complete guide to caring for maternity and pediatric patients. Written in a clear, concise style by Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, this edition reflects the current NCLEX® test plan with additional material on safety, health promotion, nutrition, and related psychosocial care.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Get Ready for the NCLEX®Examination! sections at the end of each chapter help you prepare for classroom tests and the NCLEX examination.
- Increased focus on safety helps you prepare for safe nursing practice, with:
- Safety Alert! boxes based on The Joint Commission's 2009/2010 National Patient Safety Goals
- Medication Safety Alert! boxes highlighting serious and potentially fatal medication errors in infants and children
- New information on determining pediatric dosages and a discussion of the Pedislide system
- New skills include step-by-step instructions for:
- Bathing the Newborn
- Assessing the Length and Height of Infants and Children
- Calculating BMI
- Removal of a Peripheral Intravenous Catheter
- Using the Peak Flowmeter
- Using a Metered-Dose Inhaler
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
- Updated nutrition content compares commercially available infant formulas and discusses organic, natural, and dietetic foods.
- Nutrition Considerations boxes cover prenatal care, nutritional issues during infancy, and the crisis in childhood obesity.
- Memory Jogger boxes help you remember important material with mnemonics, tips, and tricks.
- An updated glossary is available in the textbook, as well as on the companion Evolve website.
- Cultural Considerations boxes and a Cultural Assessment Data Collection Tool help in developing individualized plans of care.
- Updated health promotion content includes Health Promotion boxes focusing on preventive strategies for achieving prenatal wellness, health during pregnancy, postnatal health, and pediatric illness prevention and wellness -- including the complete immunization schedules for all ages.
- Nursing Tips provide information applying to the clinical setting.
- Objectives are listed in each chapter opener.
- Key terms include phonetic pronunciations and text page references at the beginning of each chapter.
- Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help you understand how a care plan is developed, how to evaluate care of a patient, and how to apply critical thinking skills.
- A companion Evolve website includes animations, videos, answers to review questions and answer guidelines for critical thinking questions, an English/Spanish audio glossary, critical thinking case studies, and additional review questions for the NCLEX examination.
By Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, CNE, Professor, Obstetric and Pediatric Nursing, Riverside City College, Riverside, CA