Canine Behavior - E-Book, 2nd Edition
Enter promotional code 05984 at checkout.
|Print - Paperback||$74.95|
Canine Behavior: Insights and Answers, 2nd Edition offers cutting-edge information on the latest advances in the field of clinical canine behavior. It is intended to meet the needs of veterinarians, veterinary students and technicians as well as pet owners dealing with problem pets, pet care personnel who handle dogs in the course of their work, and dog lovers who are seeking understanding of the natural and aberrant behaviors of their canine companions. This new edition establishes a solid foundation for understanding innate, dog-to-dog social interactions, communication, and sensory awareness, so that we humans can learn how to meaningfully and effectively communicate with our "best friends." The author's goals are to provide a clear understanding of normal behaviors and to provide the necessary tools to identify problem behaviors and their origins. Only then is it possible to successfully - and humanely - prevent, eradicate, or minimize unacceptable behaviors and build successful, lifelong relationships with our dogs.
New to This Edition
- The latest information on the risks and benefits of psychotropic drugs currently used for behavior therapy enables you to determine the best treatment.
- Canine Behavior Drug Formulary that clarifies indications, contraindications, and dosages for safe drug administration.
- The latest insights and treatment options for managing the behavioral and cognitive changes in senior dogs help you adapt to the changing needs of an aging dog.
- Discussions of all frequently encountered behavioral challenges in light of the natural history and innate behavioral development of dogs help you better understand the dog's natural responses to living in the modern world.
- Chapters organized by categories of behavior, featuring the most up-to-date scientific and practical insights on a wide variety of basic and complicated behavioral problems, such as canine dominance and its relationship to aggression, separation anxiety, phobias and stress disorders, house soiling and marking, excessive barking, destructive behaviors, and more.
- Coverage of clinical applications of new drugs offers safer, more effective solutions for a wide variety of common behavioral problems.
- Helpful advice on behavioral modification outcomes helps you easily identify and attain acceptable treatment goals.
By Bonnie V. Beaver, BS, DVM, MS, DACVB, Professor and Chief of Medicine, Department of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX