Cell Biology E-Book, 2nd Edition
|Print - Hardback||$124.00|
A masterful introduction to the cell biology that you need to know! This critically acclaimed textbook offers you a modern and unique approach to the study of cell biology. It emphasizes that cellular structure, function, and dysfunction ultimately result from specific macromolecular interactions. You'll progress from an explanation of the "hardware" of molecules and cells to an understanding of how these structures function in the organism in both healthy and diseased states. The exquisite art program helps you to better visualize molecular structures.
New to This Edition
New keystone chapter on the origin and evolution of life on earth probably the best explanation of evolution for cell biologists available! Spectacular new artwork by gifted artist Graham Johnson of the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego. 200 new and 500 revised figures bring his keen insight to Cell Biology illustration and further aid the reader's understanding. New chapters and sections on the most dynamic areas of cell biology - Organelles and membrane traffic by Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz; RNA processing (including RNAi) by David Tollervey., updates on stem cells and DNA Repair. ,More readable than ever. Improved organization and an accessible new design increase the focus on understanding concepts and mechanisms.
New guide to figures featuring specific organisms and specialized cells paired with a list of all of the figures showing these organisms. Permits easy review of cellular and molecular mechanisms. New glossary with one-stop definitions of over 1000 of the most important terms in cell biology.
- Covers essential concepts in a more efficient, reader-friendly manner than most other texts on this subject.
- Makes cell biology easier to understand by demonstrating how cellular structure, function, and dysfunction result from specific macromole¬cular interactions.
- Progresses logically from an explanation of the "hardware" of molecules and cells to an understanding of how these structures function in the organism in both healthy and diseased states.
- Helps you to visualize molecular structures and functions with over 1500 remarkable full-color illustrations that present physical structures to scale.
- Explains how molecular and cellular structures evolved in different organisms.
- Shows how molecular changes lead to the development of diseases through numerous Clinical Examples throughout.
- Includes STUDENT CONSULT access at no additional charge, enabling you to consult the textbook online, anywhere you go · perform quick searches · add your own notes and bookmarks · follow Integration Links to related bonus content from other STUDENT CONSULT titles-to help you see the connections between diverse disciplines · test your knowledge with multiple-choice review questions · and more!
By Thomas D. Pollard, MD, Professor, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT; William C. Earnshaw, PhD, FRSE, Professor and Wellcome Principal Fellow, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK and Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz, PhD, Head, Section on Organelle Biology, Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD