Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with Pageburst digital books on VitalSource! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books. This essential resource prepares you for a career in clinical medical assisting with complete coverage of the concepts, procedures, and skills you need to succeed in today's fast-paced medical environment. Step-by-step, hands-on guidance helps you quickly learn to perform procedures such as taking vital signs, collecting and processing lab specimens, preparing patients for examinations, assisting with office surgeries, and other treatments and procedures. Includes four DVDs with video demonstrations of the skills in the book!
New to This Edition
- The latest OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standards
- Proper procedure for measuring temperature using a temporal artery thermometer
- Step-by-step guidance for performing pulse oximetry
- Essential principles related to intravenous therapy
- Procedure for performing the A1C blood glucose test
- Updated information on medications commonly administered and prescribed in the medical office
- Four Companion DVDs show you proper technique for performing more than 70 step-by-step procedures directly from the book.
- A Chapter Outline and Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter prepare you for the skills and concepts you will be learning.
- A list of National Competencies at the beginning of each chapter identifies the theory and skill requirements addressed in that chapter.
- Key Terms and Terminology Review help you master important medical assisting terminology.
- Procedures are easy to follow with a consistent, step-by-step presentation accompanied by photographs and documentation/charting examples and guidelines.
- What Would You Do? What Would You Not Do? case studies in each chapter challenge you to apply what you've learned to realistic medical office situations. A practitioner's response is included for comparison.
- Putting It All Into Practice and Memories from Externship boxes feature real medical assistants sharing personal, on-the-job experiences to help you connect with your future goals and better understand the realities of working in a medical office.
- Patient Teaching boxes prepare you for effective communication with detailed instructions for answering patient questions and explaining important medical concepts and procedures.
- Medical Practice and the Law sections at the end of each chapter highlight important legal and ethical issues you need to know when working in a medical practice setting.
- Apply Your Knowledge questions help you assess your understanding of the chapter material.
- Certification Review sections summarize important points from the chapter that are essential to know for the certification examination.
- An On the Web feature provides you with up-to-date lists of websites you can access for more information related to chapter content.
- A Companion CD offers additional learning tools such as the Quiz Show and Road to Recovery games, labeling exercises, identification exercises, and other helpful activities.
By Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants