Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 5th Edition
Expert Consult - Online and Print
Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 5th Edition, by Meir H. Kryger, MD, FRCPC, Thomas Roth, PhD, and William C. Dement, MD, PhD, delivers the comprehensive, dependable guidance you need to effectively diagnose and manage even the most challenging sleep disorders. Updates to genetics and circadian rhythms, occupational health, sleep in older people, memory and sleep, physical examination of the patient, comorbid insomnias, and much more keep you current on the newest areas of the field. A greater emphasis on evidence-based approaches helps you make the most well-informed clinical decisions. And, a new more user-friendly, full color format - both in print and online, lets you find the answers you need more quickly and easily. Whether you are preparing for the new sleep medicine fellowship examination, or simply want to offer your patients today's best care, this is the one resource to use!
New to This Edition
- Stay on top of the hottest topics in sleep medicine with 56 new chapters, including:
- Postpartum Sleep Disturbances
- Fatigue Risk Management
- What does Brain Imaging Reveal about Sleep Genesis and Maintenance?
- Physician Examination of the Sleep Patient
- Forensic Sleep Medicine
- Pathophysiology and Models of Insomnia
- Treatment of Insomnia: Developing Treatment Guidelines
- Restrictive Lung Disorders
- Sleep Medicine in the Elderly: Obstructive
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Metabolic, and Renal Disorders
- Sleep Apnea, Obesity and Bariatric Surgery
- Sleep and Renal Disease
- Theories of Dreaming
- Why We Dream
- Sleep, Stress, and Burnout
- Evaluating Sleep EEG and Sleep Stage Scoring
- And more
- Master the newest areas in the field with 5 new sections covering:
- Sleep Mechanisms and Phylogeny
- Genetics of Sleep
- Physiology in Sleep
- Occupational Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Medicine in the Elderly
Access the complete contents online, fully searchable, and follow links to abstracts for most bibliographical references.
Apply evidence-based approaches wherever available.
Find answers more easily thanks to a new user-friendly, full-color format.
- Make optimal use of the newest scientific discoveries and clinical approaches that are advancing the diagnosis and management of sleep disorders.
"This is an updated edition of the authoritative and comprehensive book on sleep medicine that is generally considered the bible in the field. As a textbook, it will be useful to trainees in the field of sleep medicine whether they are medical students, residents or sleep fellows. It will also benefit those in other specialties traditionally linked to sleep medicine such as pulmonary medicine, neurology, psychiatry, pediatrics, ENT, obstetrics and women's health, endocrinology, and cardiology. This book remains a valuable contribution to the field."
- Isabel Crisostomo, MD, Rush University Medical Center
5 Star - Doody Rating, March 2013
By Meir H. Kryger, MD, Meir H. Kryger, MD, FRCPC Professor of Medicine, University of Connecticut, Director of Research and Education, Gaylord Hospital Sleep Medicine, Wallingford , Connecticut; Thomas Roth, PhD, Head, Division of Sleep Disorders Medicine, Henry Ford Hospital; Clinical Profesor of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Detroit, MI and William C. Dement, MD, PhD, Lowell W. and Josephine Q. Berry Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences; Director, Sleep Disorders Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA