The Dental Hygienist's Guide to Nutritional Care, 3rd Edition
The Dental Hygienist’s Guide to Nutritional Care, 3rd Edition, is specifically tailored to address relevant nutritional concerns for practicing hygienists and dental hygiene students. Authored by a team of leading dietitians and dental hygienists, the text provides you with a balanced and comprehensive view of the field. Besides offering basic nutritional advice relevant for dental hygienists, it also covers current nutritional concerns, such as high-protein diets and bottled water versus tap water, and fully incorporates the most recent MyPyramid recommendations from the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The full-color text is packed with study aids such as Key Terms and Learning Objectives, and the online Evolve website provides interactive learning activities. The Dental Hygienist’s Guide to Nutritional Care really has it all.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW information on relevant cultural issues, such as:
- UPDATED content addresses the newly released MyPyramid dietary guidelines!
- FULL-COLOR design better illustrates concepts, especially the effects vitamin deficiency can have on the oral cavity.
Pros and cons of popular high-protein diets
Vitamin D deficiency in the United States
Information on bottled water, energy drinks, and sports drinks
- Multi-disciplinary author team, including registered dental hygienists and licensed dietitians, ensures that you learn the full scope of nutritional care for the dental hygienist.
- Boxes with information on Nutritional Directions and Dental Hygiene Considerations outline important facts from each chapter that can double as patient educational resources or be used to assess and evaluate a client’s needed dental care.
- Learning Objectives, Key Terms, and Test Your NQ, a true-false format pre-test at the beginning of each chapter, guide students through the text to reinforce knowledge.
- Case Applications for the Dental Hygienist near the end of each chapter asks students to think critically about real-life situations they may encounter in practice.
- Evolve Website includes ready-made instructor resources. Students will benefit from expanded information available as Weblinks, food guides from around the world, and printable forms such as an interactive Food Diary Form and the Dietary Analysis Form.
"This text is essential reading for both dental hygiene students and the practising dental hygienist as it provides a foundation for the application of sound principles when assessing, diagnosing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the patient’s nutritional needs... The authors were challenged to write a text that would appeal to both students and the practising hygienist. Overall the objective was met, and the text serves as a useful guide and resource to both." Team in Practice, July 2010
By Cynthia A. Stegeman, RDH, MEd, RD, LD, CDE, Taylor Mill, KY; and Judi Ratliff Davis, MS, CNSD, RD, LD, Arlington, TX