Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition delivers current, comprehensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases caused by viruses, rickettsiae, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and unknown agents. Each section guides you through diagnostic testing for specific microorganisms, from sample collection to laboratory submission to interpretation of results, then details appropriate treatment measures and pharmacologic considerations for the various related infections. Full-color illustrations and hundreds of tables provide quick, convenient access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, and thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently administer appropriate dosages for the most effective treatment and prevention.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Expanded coverage of zoonoses, zoonotic potential, and precautions helps you effectively monitor and treat zoonotic infections.
- Fully updated drug formulary reflects the most current pharmacokinetics, indications, contraindications, handling and administration guidelines, and dosage recommendations available.
- Updated content throughout the text details current diagnostic testing regimens and therapeutic and preventive considerations for all pathogens you're likely to encounter in the clinical setting.
- Special focus on disease incidence and susceptibility in traveling animals helps you alert animal owners to potential risks associated with pet travel.
- The most comprehensive infectious disease coverage available helps you confidently address clinical problems related to infectious diseases in dogs and cats, and includes:
- Immunization strategies and environmental control of infections
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Prevention of infection in multi-pet and shelter settings
- Immunocompromised people and their pets
- Vibrant full-color illustrations clarify disease features and modes of disease transmission for enhanced diagnostic accuracy and disease prevention.
- Convenient tables deliver therapeutic recommendations and drug dosages at a glance.
- Complete antimicrobial drug formulary provides fast, easy access to indications, recommended dosages, and pharmacologic considerations essential for all relevant pharmaceuticals.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic testing procedures help you ensure accurate diagnoses for all clinically relevant pathogens.
- Content reflects the expert insight and vast clinical experience of a panel of trusted authorities on small animal infectious diseases.
- Easy-to-use companion website provides convenient online access to additional images, tables, boxes, appendices, and references linked directly to original PubMed abstracts.
"The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat 4th Edition delivers current comprehgensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases...Full colour illustrations, hundreds of tables provide quick, access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently adminster appropriate dosages."
Dier-en-Arts, April 2014
"All chapters have been extensively updated since the last edition due to the massive amount of new information available...The text is informative and well written, the images lift the text and are of good quality...The reader obtains an excellent understanding of infectious diseases when reading this book. The chapters are rigorously structured covering aetiology, epidemoiology, pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, pathological findings, therapy, preventative measures and when appropriate, public health considerations. The book is useful for all those interested in dog and cat medicine, and especially for anyone who is studying for further qualifications in internal medicine...The practical usefulness of this book cannot be overstated, and it deserves a position in every veterinary school and on the bookshelves of all veterinary clinics."
EJCAP, January 2013
"This comprehensive textbook of over 1300 pages tells you everything you need to know about infectious disease in dogs and cats...Some textbooks on infectious diseases are laid out by mircobiological categories while others are ordered by clinical problem- this book does both in separate sections so offers the best of both worlds...In conclusion, this would be an excellent book for a library collection as a textbook for veterinary collection as a textbook for veterinary students as well as for those with an interest in infectious disease. As a large hardback textbook it may not be suitable for all practitioners, but it would be a welcome addition to the practice library. While covering all the recent informatiion on pathogens, including molecular details, the text is easy to read and benefits greatly from a large number of well laid out tables."
Veterinary Record, January 2013
By Craig E. Greene, DVM, MS, DACVIM, Professor, Department of Small Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA