Today's Medical Assistant
Clinical & Administrative Procedures
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
For the first time - all in one volume - here's everything you need to prepare for a successful career as a medical assistant! Today's Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative Procedures is a hands-on, comprehensive guide to all of the concepts and skills you need for success in today's busy medical office: medical knowledge, clinical skills, and administrative details. No other medical assisting text provides everything you need in such a practical, accessible package! Bringing together the clinical know-how of Kathy Bonewit-West, the administrative expertise of Sue Hunt, and the anatomy and physiology knowledge of Edith Applegate, this unique text offers a single-volume, manageable approach to both clinical and administrative procedures, as well as an essential understanding of anatomy and physiology. It provides a solid foundation for success in today's fast-paced medical office, covering all the concepts and skills needed for modern medical assisting and their application to real-life situations.Table of Contents
- Streaming video presentations of 89 procedures on four companion DVD-ROMs clarify procedures from the text and reinforce your understanding.
- Two companion CD-ROMs offer animations, games, exercises, and other helpful activities designed to help you assess your content knowledge, improve your critical thinking skills, and make learning more interesting and effective.
- Interactive A & P Review exercises on the CD-ROM (Body Spectrum and ArchieMD animations with exercises) help you master challenging anatomy and physiology content.
- Evolve offers online access to additional exercises, charting/documentation examples, and externship evaluation tools.
- More than 120 procedures are presented in a clear, step-by-step format in the text, including underlying principles and illustrations depicting the technique. Procedures also include Charting Examples to help you understand the process for charting your own procedures.
- Includes coverage of anatomy and physiology, plus up-to-date content on the medical record (including HIPAA, electronic medical records [EMR], and advanced directives), documentation (including billing and coding), medical office terminology, medical asepsis, vital signs, pediatrics, colonoscopy, IV therapy, CLIA Waived Tests, and much more.
- What Would You Do?/What Would You Not Do? challenges you to analyze and respond to real-life applications of case studies.
- Apply your Knowledge questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material you’ve just covered.
- Prepare for Certification sections at the end of each chapter help you master important elements covered in medical assisting certification examinations.
- Putting It All into Practice boxes and Memories from Externship boxes introduce realistic medical assistants so that you can witness real-life medical situations.
- Patient Teaching boxes emphasize this important aspect of a medical assistant’s daily job.
- An appendix of common Spanish-English phrases helps you effectively communicate with Spanish-speaking patients.
- An appendix of helpful websites gives you valuable information on professional organizations, accrediting agencies, and agencies that provide CPR certification.
By Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants; Sue Hunt, MA, RN, CMA (AAMA), Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA; and Edith J. Applegate, PhD, MS, Professor of Biological Sciences, Kettering College of Medical Arts, Kettering, OH