Today's Medical Assistant
Clinical & Administrative Procedures
Enter promotional code 05984 at checkout.
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$67.60|
For the first time – all in one volume – here’s everything you need to prepare for a successful career as a medical assistant! Today’s Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative Procedures is a hands-on, comprehensive guide to all of the concepts and skills you need for success in today’s busy medical office: medical knowledge, clinical skills, and administrative details. No other medical assisting text provides everything you need in such a practical, accessible package! Bringing together the clinical know-how of Kathy Bonewit-West, the administrative expertise of Sue Hunt, and the anatomy and physiology knowledge of Edith Applegate, this unique text offers a single-volume, manageable approach to both clinical and administrative procedures, as well as an essential understanding of anatomy and physiology. It provides a solid foundation for success in today’s fast-paced medical office, covering all the concepts and skills needed for modern medical assisting and their application to real-life situations.Table of Contents
- Streaming video presentations of 89 procedures on four companion DVD-ROMs clarify procedures from the text and reinforce your understanding.
- Two companion CD-ROMs offer animations, games, exercises, and other helpful activities designed to help you assess your content knowledge, improve your critical thinking skills, and make learning more interesting and effective.
- Interactive A & P Review exercises on the CD-ROM (Body Spectrum and ArchieMD animations with exercises) help you master challenging anatomy and physiology content.
- Evolve offers online access to additional exercises, charting/documentation examples, and externship evaluation tools.
- More than 120 procedures are presented in a clear, step-by-step format in the text, including underlying principles and illustrations depicting the technique. Procedures also include Charting Examples to help you understand the process for charting your own procedures.
- Includes coverage of anatomy and physiology, plus up-to-date content on the medical record (including HIPAA, electronic medical records [EMR], and advanced directives), documentation (including billing and coding), medical office terminology, medical asepsis, vital signs, pediatrics, colonoscopy, IV therapy, CLIA Waived Tests, and much more.
- What Would You Do?/What Would You Not Do? challenges you to analyze and respond to real-life applications of case studies.
- Apply your Knowledge questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material you’ve just covered.
- Prepare for Certification sections at the end of each chapter help you master important elements covered in medical assisting certification examinations.
- Putting It All into Practice boxes and Memories from Externship boxes introduce realistic medical assistants so that you can witness real-life medical situations.
- Patient Teaching boxes emphasize this important aspect of a medical assistant’s daily job.
- An appendix of common Spanish-English phrases helps you effectively communicate with Spanish-speaking patients.
- An appendix of helpful websites gives you valuable information on professional organizations, accrediting agencies, and agencies that provide CPR certification.
By Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants; Sue Hunt, MA, RN, CMA (AAMA), Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA; and Edith J. Applegate, PhD, MS, Professor of Biological Sciences, Kettering College of Medical Arts, Kettering, OH