Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists, 6th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
The sixth edition of this popular favorite is ideal for board review, as well as for clinical reference on neurologic illnesses that can cause or mimic psychiatric symptoms. First it reviews anatomic neurology, describes how to approach patients with suspected neurologic disorders and correlates physical signs. Then it addresses clinical areas such as relevant history, easily performed examinations, differential diagnosis, and management approaches, and reviews psychiatric comorbidity. Abundant line drawings, CTs, MRIs, and EEGs demonstrate key clinical findings to facilitate diagnosis. And, more than 1,600 review questions help you to test and enhance your mastery of the material.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Offers thorough updates and the following NEW topics:
- Descriptions of altered mental status, including the minimally responsive state and minimal cognitive impairment
- Neurotoxins, including marine toxins
- Nutritional deficiencies and errors of metabolism, especially involving homocysteine
- Psychiatric co-morbidity of epilepsy, migraine, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, stroke, Tourette's disease, and other neurologic illnesses
- Standard clinical assessment tools, such as the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale Cognitive Section (ADAS-Cog) and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale
- Recently introduced treatments for common neurologic illnesses:
* Deafness: cochlear implant
* Epilepsy: antiepileptic drugs, deep brain stimulation, and vagus nerve stimulation
*Involuntary movements: deep brain stimulation
* Multiple sclerosis: immunomodulators and their complications
* Chronic pain: stimulators, opioid maintenance, adjuvant medications
* Uses of psychiatric medications for neurologic illnesses, such as antidepressants for migraine, chronic pain, and peripheral neuropathy; and antipsychotic agents for dementia and epilepsy
- Improved art program that better highlights clinicalclues.
- A new two-color format.
- Describes each condition's relevant history, neurologic and psychiatric features, easily performed office and bedside examinations, appropriate tests, differential diagnosis, and management options.
- Includes over 1,600 review questions and cases to help you prepare for the neurology section of the Psychiatry Board exam.
- Uses an accessible writing style and a logical, easy-to-reference organization.
- Includes reviews of public policy towards neurologic conditions, such as the persistent vegetative state and use of narcotics for chronic pain, important practice issues you may face.
REVIEW OF PREVIOUS EDITION:
"This is an excellent, comprehensive textbook that should be in the library of every practicing psychiatrist. Thorough review of this book is more than adequate preparation for the neurology segments of the general psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry examinations. Practicing psychiatrists will find this book extremely useful to have available when they need to look up a neurology complaint or differential diagnosis or simply want to remind themselves of some aspect of the neurological examination or the presentation and management of common neurological diseases. "— The American Journal of Psychiatry
By David Myland Kaufman, MD, Professor of Neurology and Psychiatry, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Director of Neurology, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA