Mims' Medical Microbiology, 5th Edition
With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
Mims’ Microbiology makes it easy for you to learn the microbiology and basic immunology concepts you need to know for your courses and USMLE. Using a clinically relevant, systems-based approach, this popular medical textbook accessibly explains the microbiology of the agents that cause diseases and the diseases that affect individual organ systems. With lavish illustrations and straightforward, accessible explanations, Mims’ Microbiology makes this complex subject simple to understand and remember.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Enhance your learning and absorb complex information in an interactive, dynamic way with Pathogen Parade - a quickly searchable online glossary of viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
- Deepen your understanding of epidemiology and the important role it plays in providing evidence-based identification of key risk factors for disease and targets for preventive medicine. A completely re-written chapter on this topic keeps abreast of the very latest findings.
- Learn about infections in the context of major body systems and understand why these are environments in which microbes can establish themselves, flourish, and give rise to pathologic changes. This systems-based approach to microbiology employs integrated and case-based teaching that places the "bug parade" into a clinical context.
- Grasp and retain vital concepts easily thanks to a user-friendly color-coded format, succinct text, key concept boxes, and dynamic illustrations.
- Effectively review for problem-based courses with the help of chapter introductions and "Lessons in Microbiology" text boxes that highlight the clinical relevance of the material, offer easy access to key concepts, and provide valuable review tools.
- Approach microbiology by body system or by pathogen through an extensively cross-referenced "Pathogen Review" section.
- Access the complete contents online at studentconsult.com, along with downloadable illustrations…150 multiple choice review questions... "Pathogen Parade"...and many other features to enhance learning and retention.
By Richard Goering, BA MSc PhD, Professor and Chair, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, USA; Hazel Dockrell, BA (Mod) PhD, Professor of Immunology, Department of Immunology and Infection, Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK; Mark Zuckerman, BSc (Hons) MB BS MRCP MSc FRCPath, Consultant Virologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, South London Specialist Virology Centre, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, King’s College London School of Medicine, London, UK; Ivan Roitt, DSc HonFRCP FRCPath FRS, Hon Director, Middlesex Centre for Investigative & Diagnostic Oncology, School of Health & Social Sciences, Middlesex University, London, UK
and Peter L. Chiodini, Honorary Professor, Infectious & Tropical Diseases, The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Consultant Parasitologist, Dept. of Clinical Parasitology, Hospital for Tropical Diseases