Physical Education and the Study of Sport, 5th Edition
Text with CD-ROM
New to This Edition
This fifth edition of Physical Education and the Study of Sport has been revised in response to changes in the National Curriculum for A- and AS-level Physical Education and Sport, commencing September 2004. The new edition is designed to meet the needs of the new A-level syllabuses for all examination boards (AQA, EDEXCEL, OCR) and is also suitable for HND Sport Studies, while keeping the book's distinctive lively and practical approach to the serious study of sport. 'Learning by doing' is at the heart of the new curriculum and this philosophy is adopted throughout the book: it explains key terms, gives learning objectives and includes extensive practical investigations.
- the performer in action - covering human anatomy, physiology and biomechanics
- the performer as person - covering the acquisition of skill and sport psychology
- the performer in a social setting - covering contemporary, comparative and historical aspects of sport. This new edition consolidates the position of Physical Education and the Study of Sport as the leading textbook for all students and teachers of A- and AS-level courses starting after September 2004.
The layout of the book has been redesigned for this edition. Lavishly illustrated in full colour throughout (with over 700 pages and 680 illustrations) with a supporting CD-ROM. The CD-ROM features the whole book in a mode in which it is possible to create PowerPoint presentations from book material. It also features synoptic questions, projects, sample exam papers and personal performance profiles.
This fifth edition covers all the needs of the new A-level syllabuses, as well as addressing the needs of AS students.
As before, the core emphasis of the book is the performer, who is central to all theoretical strands:
- Covers the needs of the new A level syllabus
- Addresses the requirements of AS students (pre-A level course)
- Features over 680 full-color illustrations
- Experienced and established team of authors - moderators, syllabus writers, and exam question setters
- Revised and updated to reflect the new curriculum
- Comprehensive glossary
- Fully supported by Instructor's Guides (available separately)
- Supporting CD-ROM included
- Review and exam-style questions included at the end of each section
- Numerous practical activities illustrate and reinforce theoretical concepts
By Robert Davis, PhD, Honorary Research Fellow, Worcester College of Higher Education; Formerly Principal Lecturer in Physical Education, Madeley College of Higher Education and Lecturer in Sport, Health and Exercise, Staffordshire University, UK; Jan Roscoe, Formerly Teacher of A-Level Physical Education and Human Biology, Widnes Sixth Form College, UK; and Ros Phillips, Principal Lecturer in Physical Education, Liverpool John Moores University, UK