Medical Insurance Made Easy, 2nd Edition
Understanding the Claim Cycle
This combination textbook and workbook, explains each phase of the medical claim cycle, from the time the patient calls for an appointment until the financial transaction for the encounter is completed. Coverage includes types of insurance payers, basic coding and billing rules, and standard requirements for outpatient billing using the CMS-1500 claim form. It also emphasizes legal aspects related to each level of the medical claim cycle and the importance of the medical office employee, showing their responsibility for and impact on successful reimbursement.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Features completely updated information that reflects the many changes in the insurance industry.
- Contains a new chapter on UB-92 insurance billing for hospitals and outpatient facilities.
- Includes a new appendix, Quick Guide to HIPAA for the Physician's Office, to provide a basic overview of the important HIPAA-related information necessary on the job.
- 3 separate chapters offer coverage of the basic concepts of medical coding.
- A comprehensive overview of the CMS-1500 claim form with step-by-step guidelines and illustrations thoroughly covers reimbursement issues and explains the billing process.
- Includes detailed information on various insurance payers and plans including Medicare, government medical plans, disability plans, private indemnity plans, and managed care.
- Stop & Review sections illustrate how the concepts presented in each chapter relate to real-life billing situations.
- Sidebars and Examples highlight key concepts and information related to the core text lesson.
- A companion CD-ROM contains sample patient and insurance information that readers can use to practice completing the accompanying CMS-1500 claim form, as well as a demonstration of Altapoint practice management software.