Beard's Massage, 5th Edition
Principles and Practice of Soft Tissue Manipulation
First published in 1964, Beard's Massage is a classic physical therapy massage text originally authored by Gertrude Beard, a pioneering physical therapist in the 1920s who treated patients using soft tissue massage techniques that remain the basis of practice today.
Now in its fifth edition, with a new title, this classic text has been expanded and updated throughout to provide you with an overview of massage, a description of massage techniques, information on the benefits of massage, and specific techniques for a variety of conditions.
New to This Edition
- The new companion DVD with narrated video clips demonstrates each of the various techniques discussed in the text allowing you to visually comprehend proper timing and techniques.
- Icons in the text link the text to the DVD so they can function together as a complete learning tool.
- New chapter on Anatomical Landmarks for Soft Tissue Massage demonstrates the important anatomical landmarks and structures involved during the application of soft tissue massage techniques.
- New chapter on Focal Massage Sequences describes the use of various massage techniques for specific pathologies to help enhance your assessment skills for those clients who present with specific injuries and/or conditions.
- New chapter on Decongestive Therapy for the Treatment of Lymphedema shows how massage can be an effective part of lymphedema treatment.
- New chapter on Massage in Sport explains the different strokes and methods required for sports massage in rehabilitation.
- New chapter on Massage for the Baby and Infant describes different methods for safe massage.
- New chapter on Massage in Palliative Care explains the role of massage, especially pain relief and relaxation, in the care of the terminally ill.
- New chapter on Soft Tissue Manipulation in Complementary/Alternative Medicine (CAM) describes different massage techniques in CAM therapies.
- Practical step-by-step guidance to help you develop massage sequences that best meet the needs of your patients.
- Sections on massage strokes show the direction and sequence of each stroke, allowing you the benefit of using one comprehensive resource instead of several texts.
- Includes guidance in Swedish Remedial Massage techniques to help you develop proper massage techniques and sequences that best meet the needs of each individual client.
- Nearly 500 line drawings and photos demonstrate how to perform all of the basic strokes, the physiologic and therapeutic effects of each technique, and how to apply the most appropriate massage sequences to specific regions of the body.
- Photos include directional arrows that show hand position and movement across the patient.
- Updated references facilitate further study and demonstrate currency of the text.
By Giovanni DeDomenico, Grad Dip (Physiotherapy), Dip TP, MSc, PhD, MCSP, MAPA, MCPA, Professor and Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Allied Health Professions, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX