Medical Effects of Ionizing Radiation, 3rd Edition
The new edition of this popular monograph features renowned experts who offer the most current information and reliable guidance on the effects of radiation exposure. They provide all the answers you need to effectively treat your patients who have been exposed to accidental, occupational, or medical radiation. Using the newest data on the molecular and genetic basis of radiation carcinogenesis, the authors offer in-depth coverage of the risks of cancer, genetic impairment, and other forms of damage caused by radiation exposure.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Incorporates the latest information on risk estimates and the effects on varying radiation doses on specific organ systems to help you better answer questions from patients who are considering or undergoing radiation treatment.
- Features expanded topics on the molecular and genetic basis of radiation carcinogenesis keeping you current on how best to treat your patients and avoid complications.
- Includes the newest information on legal issues so you can better understand the legal implications of radiation exposure.
- Provides updated coverage on the effects of radiation in pregnant women to help you understand the unique needs of this patient group, including the effects on the in-utero central nervous system.
- Covers all aspects of the effects of radiation on humans from basic physics and chemistry to perception and acceptance of risk to hormesis to the latest data on radiation exposure, offering you well-rounded coverage of this complex field.
- Offers extensive references at the end of each chapter for further reading.
- Presents an easy-to-read writing style coupled with numerous tables, charts, and illustrations to make complex concepts easier to understand and absorb.
“…This book is highly recommended to all health professionals as an up-to-date and comprehensive discussion of the effects of radiation on humans and is an excellent addition to any radiologist’s library.” —American Journal of Roentgenology, review of the 2nd edition.
"The authors have provided this justified update because of the improved understanding of radiation effects in the years since the previous edition was published. I know of no other book with such wide coverage and detailed discussions." -Doody Enterprises Inc., 2008
By Fred A. Mettler, Jr., MD, MPH, Chief, Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, NM Veterans Health Care System, Albuquerque, NM; and Arthur C. Upton, MD