Saunders Equine Formulary, 2nd Edition
A handy and portable guide to today’s leading equine drugs, Saunders’ Equine Formulary, 2nd Edition makes it quick and easy to look up drug information when you need it most - while you’re in the field. And it’s more than a simple formulary: this book also provides benchmark values on vital signs and normal values so that you can correctly interpret diagnostic tests. This new edition is the only equine formulary available both in print and as an app for mobile use. Written by a world-renowned expert on equine medicine, Derek Knottenbelt, this book is an indispensable reference for equine veterinary practitioners, veterinary students, and others involved in breeding and keeping horses.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! A handy interactive app format allows extra-quick, point-of-care reference.
- NEW! A full-colour design includes more high-quality line drawings and adds photographs showing nerve block techniques.
- NEW! Revised clinical techniques section deals with the difficult horse and restraint methods, including field anaesthesia.
- NEW algorithmic approach updates and clarifies emergency procedures, wound management, disease control protocols, and more.
- NEW! Wound dressings and suturing sections are thoroughly modernized.
- A listing of haematological, biochemical, physiological, and therapeutic data is contained in just one volume, designed with the final-year vet student and recent graduate in mind.
- Information on drug dosages and adverse reactions reflects manufacturers’ recommendations in data sheets and literature inserts.
- Clinical Aids section provides highly practical advice and quick synopses for the most common scenarios likely to occur on a field visit, such as bandaging techniques, humane destruction, and restraint techniques.
- Practical, universal relevance is created by the use of SI units and generic drug names - making this reference useful to everyone working in the equine field all over the world, whether vet student or equine specialist.
- Practical, step-by-step instructions summarize principal diagnostic tests.
'The eagerly awaited updated version of The Equine Formulary has arrived, and the already decent book has been improved. it's author, Professor Derek Knottenbelt, is a world-renowned expert on equine medicine, and particularly for his role in preparing students for life in equine veterinary practise. His vast experience and aptitude for making things easy to understand shine through in this book.
The book is well orgabised and the contents pages are well set out... the bulk of the text is an exhaustive index of medicine. The Plethora of entries is a comforting reminder of the relatively large number of drugs that we have available for use. These are helpfully catergorized by use or action, aiding drug comparisons and therefore selection of the best remedy... this, I believe, will be the essential in-car reference guide for equine veterianry surgeons. it is certainly a must-have book for all recently qualified equine practioners, and those veterianarians who are seeing horses infrequently within the mixed practise setting.'
- The Veterinary Record
By Derek C. Knottenbelt, OBE BVM&S DVM&S Dip ECEIM MRCVS, Professor in Equine Medicine
The Philip Leverhulme Equine Hospital
University of Liverpool, UK
and Fernando Malalana, DVM GPCert(EqP) DipECEIM MRCVS